Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G in London using a OnePlus 7 pro 5G

harrismix
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G phone and have just started the Vodafone Unlimited Max plan (with 5G) - The phone is working great on my Vodafone account and I am connecting to 3G, 4G, 4G+ just fine but . . .  No 5G - It just does not find a 5G signal and I have tried in the covered (red) zones in London, (on Waterloo Bridge, by Holborn Station, St Anne's Court in Soho and others) - it never once connects to 5G and I have it enabled in the phone settings -if I try a manual network search it does not see any 5G either . . . The most I am getting anywhere (including these zones) is 4G+ . . . . Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I would just contact Vodafone customer service on 191 and Live Chat just to ask them to clarify that everything on their side points to 5G being provisioned on your account.

Can you check a specific postcode from the area your visiting just to double check 5G is available there. The checker and further info is in 》 Here.

Where did you acquire your phone from ?

I haven't checked your model of phone but it might just be worth checking the 5G frequencies it uses is compatible with the Vodafone UK Network.

The phone as far as I can see uses 》5G NSA / Sub6 / mmWave

From 》  gsmarena.com/oneplus_7_pro_5g.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via 》 Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries have account access too.

I assume they send you a 5G version Sim card too    :Smiling:

5G is very much in its infancy and as such weather conditions etc can greatly affect signal and from what I read a person pretty much needs to be very near a 5G module for 5G to connect and work.

Some have had hit and miss experiences.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that, I've asked them and it's a miss all the time for me, right in the middle of their small coverage zones it does connect to 4G+ with fast speeds but just no 5G - I was wondering whether Vodafone are operating their 5G on some kind of unusual frequency that's not compatible with all 5G phones?

BandOfBrothers

It would be disappointing if a flagship phone didn't support 5G a UK network is using.

Some info 》

Vodafone.co.uk/5g/is-5g-safe. 

Says "uses frequencies between 3.4GHz and 3.6GHz. "

5G

From a google search Vodafone uses the 50 MHz Spectrum.

It could be worthwhile speaking with the phone manufacturer and or ask in a dedicated forum.

I bought my Samsung Note 10+ 5G direct from Samsung so I would hope it supports 5G from the Networks using it.

Wouod you let us know how you get on ?

Current Phone  >

Vodafone said: The frequency band is between 3.4GHz and 3.6GHz band and It’s able to operate in high frequencies in the 24GHz to 28GHz . . . . . .  the question is, does the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G support this? It's the phone that EE sells for their 5G service int he UK . . . .

BandOfBrothers

May I ask again where did you purchase the phone from ?

So You then will need to see what frequencies your phone supports.

Either use the GSMarena link I added earlier to see if that clarifies or look at the phones manual that came with the phone or in its internal help pages if it has that or ask the manufacturer. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks - Twas from an individual who purchased it from CMX - It looks like one that somebody had received as an upgrade from EE and then taken it to the second hand shop and at some point was unlocked . . . . it's 'as new' and works great (apart from the 5G) on all UK networks, 3G, 4G, 4G+.

The instruction card says: 

Model: GM1920, 5G: NR Band n78, 25dbm (3500mzh = 3.5ghz which is within the 3.4-3.6 that Vodafone quoted)

BandOfBrothers

I've not heard or come across CMX.

I've heard of and used CEX.

I'm wondering how it was originally unlocked to all networks?

If by the original network then it should be good to go although it may have ee's brand of firmware on it.

If its been force unlocked by a shop etc then that can cause issues 

Current Phone  >

Thought I would let you know why you can't get Vodafone 5g on it, unfortunately it's not good news 

The OP7 5G has specific software that only works on EE 5G, put any other SIM in and you only get 4G.

This was something done by OnePlus in the actual software it has.

There is a technical way to overwrite this restriction, bit takes some programming skills, and when you restart the phone it goes back to square one.

This is from personal experience owing the device and running my own tech site where I got this info.

Sorry it's bad news but the OnePlus 5G will never work on any other 5G network :Sad_face:

Thanks for this, I also found this out today from an expert .  . . . yes it seems that OnePlus have deliberately disabled 5G for all UK networks except EE - there would have been a way to modify this but the recent version of Android removed the access to the engineer test menu that was the only way to change the setting without rooting the device which can potentially cause the celluar and wifi to stop working . . .  at the moment I am getting very fast 4G+ speeds from Vodafone (I recently got over 260mbps inthe street which I am happy with) and I am on their 30 day Unlimited Max plan now, I think I will continue with this from month-to-month until EE offer some more flexible 5G SIM only packages (they have a take-it-or-leave-it choice of one at the moment!) . . . The thing about OnePlus is that the 90hz display is so fantastic and totally bezel free that a move to Samsung to be compatible with Vodafone's 5G is really a downgrade  . . . .  I am not so desperate for 5G to do that yet but I will keep a close eye on EE 5G options and also keep searching for a way to modify the 7 Pro carrier file without take a rooting risk - thanks for your advice - much appreciated :Smiling: