Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G speeds

EH19
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I just wanted to share some speed results connected to Vodafone's 5G network on the note 10 5G+SmartSelect_20190824-214853_Speedtest.jpg

Unfortunately they are not as fast as what Vodafone is estimating on the coverage checker. I think maybe if I had done the speed test outside and in a higher covered area it would be a lot faster. 

I look forward to seeing what other users have gotten on there 5G devices.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @EH19 

When one of the Vodafone Social Media Teams here catch up with your thread they'll get your attachment approved so we can see  it.

I've not experienced 5G speeds personally but have seen videos from people showing their experiences and it's encouraging to see the potential of 5G.

5G is very much in its infancy with infrastructure still being put in place.

From what I've read a person needs to be pretty close to a 5G nodule to experience the true speeds of 5G as weather conditions and structures like trees and buildings can affect 5G.

All that said I'm excited to hopefully experience 5G when it hits my home city later this year and have started my own getting ready process by purchasing a Samsung Note 10+ 5G phone.   :Winking_smiley:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for your reply

I'm hoping soon 5G will also be a lot stronger in my area as the current speeds are not too far of 4G+ where I get between 70-100MBPS. Running a speed test just now I have gotten a speed of 79.8mbps on the 4G

Where about in the UK are you getting those speeds? Top I seem to get in Edinburgh is about 24mpbs

Hello,

I get those speeds around the west Midlands. Data speed on Vodafone does seem to be significantly higher then other networks both on the 4G+ and 5G network.Screenshot_20190827-140315_OpenSignal.jpg

Thanks for that. Asked Vodafone via twitter about my speed and got the usual “there maybe maintenance work going on in that area”

I think vodafone should be rolling out 5G in Edinburgh soon. In areas of Birmingham where I have found 5G to work at 200-470MBPS. 4G+ runs at speeds up to 140mbps. So even if you don't have a 5g compatible phone + Sim plan you should still receive fast speeds on the 4G network.4G speeds in a strong 5G area during peak times (3PM)4G speeds in a strong 5G area during peak times (3PM)

What I have found is, is that Vodafone is quite disappointing in areas that aren't huge cities which leads to  extremely slow data speeds. It seems like they are focusing more on building a 5G network in these cities then providing a fast 4G network for the rest of the country. Networks like EE & o2 have managed to provide most the country with 4G and are focusing on that whilst also building a 5G network that's not to bad off from Vodafone's network. Three have also been trying to roll out the UK'S fastest 5G network in all of the country, not just major cities, by the end of 2020.  I don't know where the future leads with me staying on vodafone. If they can't roll out 4G & 5G to dead spots around the country.

I get upto 135mbps on 4G+ in my area on Vodafone. It's been a breath of fresh air since moving from Three network. I'm sure 5G will get better as 4G was same when it started. I used to get unusable connection on Three in Birmingham City centre but Vodafone loads like a dream. 5G will someday be amazing 

Guess 4G+ hasn’t reached Edinburgh yet. Mind you it’s only 2019 (said in a sarcastic tone)

I have found 4G+ in Edinburgh around West Approach Road - so got to enjoy 90 seconds of it everyday on the bus :Cry_Laughing:

Vodafone's network in Edinburgh is appaling - no widely rolled out 4G+ (while in Glasgow that seems to be a standard easilynreaching 100Mbps or more), no 5G (which will make them the only provider in the Scottish capital without 5G very soon), 4G speeds are grotesque (I was getting around that 6 years ago on Virgin's 3G) and during fringe the network in the city centre was virtually unusable.

Guys, you should really do something about it. There were also promises of Gigafast broadband - plenty of leaflets all over your stores, the now closed store on Princess Street has massive window stickers saying it's "coming soon" - for a year...

UPDATE: Actually Tolcross and Lauriston seem to have 4G+ too