Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Account holder has left the country?

slowko
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

My former partner bought me a phone (with a new number) some years ago. We have since gone our separate ways, she has left the country. The phone and number is still registered to her account and I have been paying the bills for the past couple of years (I also have access to the online account as she left login details). I now want to upgrade the phone and keep the number, but as I am not the account holder this doesn't seem possible. My attempts at updating details and my former partners attempts at contacting Vodafone from abroad have resulted in the account being locked. I can no longer even pay the bills because I can't login even though the phone and number are still working. 

How can I unlock the account, transfer the number to my name and upgrade my phone and contract?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

I suppose another option you could consider is asking your former partner to call up and get the PAC code. That way you can take the number to a different network (e.g. just put it on a PAYG sim) and then from there you're free to take up service with whoeevers you the best deal and then port the number in again.

The reason I suggest this route is that (a) it takes 1 working day to port out and (2) this will automatically close the account in your ex-partners name. 

At the point you port the number elsewhere, it becomes yours.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

A transfer of ownership can be done but the original account owner has to be on the phone with a customer service agent. 

For access only the original account owner can add you as a trusted person. 

Info is here > Can-I-transfer-my-number-and-contract-to-someone-else.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @slowko

This should have been done before your partner left the country. 

As you are not the account holder, Vodafone wouldn't be able to discuss the account with you, this means your partner will need to contact Vodafone to unlock the account and authorise the change of ownership.    If you are able to contact your partner, Vodafone can be contacted from abroad by following the information here:  Contact Us.

The other alternative is for you to take a new contract with a new number.

hrym

If you're in contact with your partner, you can indeed ask them to transfer the contract to you.   If they won't, remind them that you're paying the bill and that, if you fail to pay, the credit file hit will be on them.  That won't carry much weight unless they're planning to return here at any point.  However, it does put them on notice and you can reasonably stop paying.   You're then free to take out a new contract in your own name although, sadly, you won't be able to keep your number.

You could simply buy a new phone outright and use it on the contract.   However, that's an expensive option as you'll still be paying Vodafone the device-inclusive rate.

This can't be a unique situation, but I'm not sure there's any other way round it.  If there is, the forum team will be able to advise, altough I suspect you're going to fall at the first hurdle of account access.

donnyguy

I suppose another option you could consider is asking your former partner to call up and get the PAC code. That way you can take the number to a different network (e.g. just put it on a PAYG sim) and then from there you're free to take up service with whoeevers you the best deal and then port the number in again.

The reason I suggest this route is that (a) it takes 1 working day to port out and (2) this will automatically close the account in your ex-partners name. 

At the point you port the number elsewhere, it becomes yours.

Just wanted to thank the community for all the excellent answers posted. I'll let you know how I get on.

S