Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Activate texts abroad

rbmrosalyn
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I'm based in the UK and looking to send texts to my mother in Spain.

She's in hospital and cannot connect to WiFi so texts or calls are my only option. When I send a text, it comes up that the message has failed (Error and message not sent sent instantly appears). 

Can anyone please tell me what setting I need to activate in the Android versions of the My Vodafone App?

Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

I appreciate your Mum cannot connect to Wi-Fi while in hospital. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Can you send texts to other people OK in the UK ?

Have you been able to text Mum OK previously  ? If so can you think of anything that may have changed recently that could be affecting this now.

Can she connect to Mobile Data ? i.e 3G etc.

If so perhaps use options such as WhatsApp and or Facebook Messenger to make contact.

When your sending a text message is it a normal text i.e not a long one or a text that includes images etc, as this would convert the normal text to a mms text. This service would need provisioning on your account as mms costs to send but is free to receive as long as the recipient has mobile data on with a stable 3G connection.

Your Mum's account might need provisioning too.

If your sending a normal text then the issue maybe at your Mums end with her phone or the network masts she is latched to.

Unfortunately instances like yours are not always easy to resolve and usually require troubleshooting such as each of you speaking with your Network's and trying different phone's etc.

Vodafone Customer services on 191 or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Team's  can check your Vodafone account.

Calling and texting abroad-from-the-uk.. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for replying.

I usually speak to her daily via WhatsApp as she's got WiFi at home but I have never been able to send a text. I can text fine to UK numbers though.

I shall keep trying and fiddling with the settings. She's not able to connect to any internet while in hospital so texts and calls are all I will be able to use. 

Thank you again. 

AnnS

Hi @rbmrosalyn 

You don't mention if you are PAYG or contract. 

If your Mother is using a UK mobile number, send the text as +44 dropping the first 0, Spanish numbers start with a 6 use 0034 in front of the number followed by the 9 digits.   The charge will be 6p per message to a Spanish mobile number.  

Thank you for replying, I shall contact Vodafone today to see if they can help. I'm contract and my mother uses a Spanish mobile number. I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere I have to find and tweak. 

AnnS

Hi @rbmrosalyn 

There won't be a setting or anything to change from Vodafone.  Send using the 0034 country code in front of the number, if this does not work it will be connected with the Spanish number your Mother is using, it may just be due to the signal your Mother receives at her location.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Do you have a spend cap on your line that stops you sending  chargeable texts (e.g. do you have it set at zero)?

Reason I ask is that you say you usually use WhatsApp to contact your mum (which is free as goes over data) however that doesn't work as she has no wifi in the hospital. 

If you've switched to sending standard texts to her +34 6xx xxxxxx number then they will be chargeable, won't come out of any allowance and if you've got your spend cap at zero, will not send.