Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android - Vodafone WiFi not working on Tube

haroon1984
4: Newbie

Hi all, new Vodafone pay monthly customer here. I'm based in London, using the Tube every day. I have a new Android device (Oneplus 6T) running Android 9. 

At first, Vodafone WiFi on the Tube worked perfectly. I've used it for a week or two with no problems.

But today, I have noticed the following:

- The SSID has changed. It used to be "Vodafone-WiFi", which was unsecured (no padlock icon).

- Now it is "VodafoneWiFi", which is secured (padlock icon).

- My phone will not connect to the new WiFi network ("VodafoneWiFi") at all. This is despite my phone telling me that the network is "available via Vodafone UK".

- With the new WiFi network, there is no way for me to to access advanced settings so that I can change the EAP authentication to SIM. 

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone at Vodafone know what's going on? 

5 REPLIES 5

Shane88
4: Newbie

Choose virgin media and login with your Vodafone username and password. 

@Shane88 - yes, that still seems to work... But I have to log in with my Vodafone account details every time. Takes AGES.

Vodafone - is this what people should do from now on? 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @haroon1984, we're sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting to the London Underground WiFi. Please give the following steps a go and let us know how you get on:

1. When under VodafoneWiFi coverage visit the “WiFi Settings” and tap on “VodafoneWiFi” in the access point list visible on the phone.
  2. Scroll to the top and view what the EAP method is currently selected.
  3. Edit the EAP method and change it to “AKA”. Then select “Connect”.
  4. If this does not connect to VodafoneWiFi, please wait 1 minute and repeat the above process and select “SIM” instead of “AKA” as the EAP method, then select “Connect”.

Hi @TJ , thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can't access those options in steps 2-4 of your message. When I tap on the VodafoneWiFi network, it just tries to connect to it. If I hold down on it, all it gives me are the following options:

- Connect 

- Forget 

- Modify 

And the Modify option doesn't do anything either! 

Can you explain in more detail how I access the EAP settings? 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

When selecting VodafoneWiFi to log in, a PEAP authentication message should appear @haroon1984. This will then allow you to change the EAP method to 'SIM'.

If this isn't the case, we'd advise speaking with the phone's manufacturer for further advice on how to access your PEAP settings. I've had a look around the web and I've not been able to find the exact steps, so speaking with the manufacturer would be the next best step :Smiling: Please let us know how you get on after doing this.