cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone think the text Vodafone send when you arrive overseas is either badly written/contradictory?

rb2017
1: Seeker

I took the message below to mean that I could use my allowances whilst in Florida.  Vodafone Chat Help said the other night that this text is simply an advertisement message saying I should upgrade to a Roam-Further plan.  I have been charged £6 four times for using my phone abroad.  Obvious had I known I was going to get charged then  would have used Wi-Fi.  As you can imagine Vodafone don't want to know and refuse to refund anything.  I'll be looking at different providers when my contract is up for renewal.  I have loads of friends saying that 3 offer better deals now!

Hello. Just so you know, THE USA is one of our Roam-further destinations - which means you can use the minutes, texts and data from your plan while here. It costs just £6 (inc. VAT) a day on top of your monthly plan - and you'll only pay on the days you use your phone. Please note: some devices automatically use data to check emails and get updates - to avoid charges for this, simply switch off data roaming in your settings menu. For terms and info see: http://m.vodafone.co.uk/ga1 or call +441635691700. For emergency services call 112. Have a good trip.

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @rb2017

The USA including Florida is in a roam further destination as explained on this link: Vodafone Global Roaming and is subject to the mandatory roam further charge of £6.00 per day only when making an outgoing activity, it is free to receive.  If you were in a European roam free destination you would have been free to use your UK allowance without incurring extra roaming charges.  All roaming charges can be found here: How much does it cost to use my device abroad?

I am a little confused the text message clearly explains the extra £6.00 daily roam further charge on top of your monthly plan and only being charged on the days you use your phone.  Vodafone even recommend turning off your data roaming to avoid incurring unexpected data charges.

The charges will certainly be correct but live chat will be able to go through the bill with you and clarify the charges whilst you were away roaming in Florida USA.

rb2017
1: Seeker

It’s just the first line of that paragraph I feel can be mis-interpreted. I’m sat here with two of my mates and they agree with me! Don’t worry, it’s made my mind up to start looking elsewhere for my next phone contract. It’s a shame as I’ve been with Vodafone for years. Clearly loyalty counts for nothing.

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@rb2017 wrote:

It’s just the first line of that paragraph I feel can be mis-interpreted.......

The fact that you mention "can" means that it could not be either.
I have read it as that I have to pay £6 per day on the day I use it.

If you have Global Roaming Plus then you get this text.
"You're probably expecting a text about roaming charges - but no! As you have Vodafone Global Roaming Plus you can now use the minutes, texts & data from your plan while abroad to stay in contact with friends & family back in the UK and in THE USA at no extra cost. Go to www.vodafone.co.uk/travelling for info and terms. Stay safe while abroad, if you need the emergency services call 112."