cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Are Vodafone really going to let me go (AKA does retentions still exist)

goldust
4: Newbie

Hi,

Long time Vodafone customer (13 years) and I've always been offered a decent deal to stick around.  My partner too is with Vodafone and we tend to go with the same deal for both of us.

However my deal has expired ending both the discount and my Spotify freebie so it's pretty expensive now!

I called up to see what was on offer and wasn't impressed.  I was even offered a 30% loyalty discount that was even valid on iPhone but only 7 or earlier (which is fine).  But overall there was nothing eye catching and I can get a much better deal with a SIM only on or around Black Friday and just buy a phone outright.

Having requested the PAC codes for both phones I would have expected someone to call me back and try to talk me round but nothing yet.  Is that even a thing any more?  Is the deal offered all I can expect and should I just leave or will the retention angels appear and save me from going to another network?  Just don't want to push the button on using the PAC codes then something better is offered from Voda.  And as you can probably tell from my tone I'd be quite happy to stay for the right deal!

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I have read that some people have received a call not long after being given their Pac Code. However not everyone will recieve a call and they'll either use the Pac code or let it expire which is 30 days after issue. 

Its always worth asking again. You never know. 

As your aware a person is in a better position to negotiate a deal the nearer they are to their contract end date. Usually Retentions can offer what they are allowed but that's not always going to be what a person wants. Look at what's around with other networks and see if they'll match it or i agree some do find a sim only a better proposition and buy their phones outright. 

Im payg so always buy my phones. 

Take into consideration that not all networks offer good signal and data speeds where you live work and commute so you could end up with a sweeter deal but unusable due to network connection and signal. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hmm.   When I left Vodafone myself I got a call from some barrowboy type in Retentions withing half-an-hour of getting my PAC code (which I was given immediately I asked for it - full marks for Customer Service there.)   I explained that I was leaving because my experiences on this forum in the preceding two years had convinced me to get out before one came along that had my name on it, to coin an old military expression - and they never bothered me again.

Makelo
12: Established
12: Established

Retentions do still exist and do still sometimes call you up however they, like customer services agents you speak to, have virtually no power to actually do anything worthwile anymore. They certainly have no option but to follow the company line in regard to giving extra discount for loyalty. 

With the knowledge that Vodafone and O2 share masts, in the last couple of months I've decided to bail and move four lines over to O2 for this exact reason, O2 were happy to negotiate and offered a great deal on those four lines, Vodafone wouldn't budge an inch from the website pricing.  Asking Vodafone for four PAC codes certainly got someone's attention because within five minutes of asking I got a call back from retentions wanting to know why.

I pointed out they were not being very flexible or rewarding my loyalty. She asked what it would take to keep my custom so I told her what O2 had offered and asked her to match it. She pointed out the prices on the website are non-negotiable as they are already discounted. I pointed out that the same offer was available last year yet still negotiated a substantial discount on top. This is the reason we ended up with four lines on Vodafone, because the discounts were good.  She looked at my bills for the past twelve months, accepted what I had said was correct ,then she apologised stating there is nothing that she can do regarding the prices and wished me well on O2.

The bottom line is yes, they will let you go.

All utility companies now only seem interested in gaining new customers rather than retaining old ones. It no longer pays to be loyal, so I don't show them any anymore. If the only way to secure a good deal is to become a 'new customer' every year then so be it.