Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

At my wits end!

Sar_Mc
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I'm having so many issues trying to get a complaint against Vodafone resolved that I'm about to burst!

I applied for an upgrade on 15th April 2020 and was advised that the handset would take approximately 1-2 weeks to be sent to me. I duly waited and then found out from work that I'm being made redundant at the end of August, so on 29th April I contacted Vodafone customer services via the online chat to ask for the upgrade to be cancelled. The person I chatted with said it wasn't a problem and cancelled the upgrade. This is when my problems really started.

The upgraded handset was sent to me anyway and I received it on 30th April. I should have just rejected the parcel with hindsight but I stupidly didn't. I contacted online chat to let them know that I'd received the handset and wanted to return it. They told me I had to speak to somebody in returns to arrange this. I called the number...and waited, and waited and waited. I waited almost six hours in total (but on different calls) and eventually got through to someone in returns. They told me they were only dealing with general enquiries and I should call back in 24 hours! I appreciate we're in the midst of a global pandemic and their customer service team are stretched and working from home but I also knew that I only had 14 days to return the handset. I contacted online chat again and they gave me a direct number to call for returns, and bingo! I got through within 10 minutes and had the return set up and the returns bag was sent out to me. I received the returns bag a few days later and sent the handset back on 6th May, got proof of postage as advised by the returns information, and it was signed for by somebody at Ingram Micro(?) on 7th May. 

In between, I raised a complaint to Vodafone on 29th April to complain about the amount of time I'd spent trying to speak to someone in returns and also to complain that my account was showing the upgraded tariff and additional charges.

Somebody from customer services contacted me on 2nd May regarding my complaint. She advised me that they were waiting for the handset to be returned and they would then revert my account back to the previous tariff and remove any additional charges in time for my May bill. To cut a long story short, I've spoken to them on numerous occasions and they've said the handset has been received in the warehouse and they're just waiting for them to close the returns process down.

Cut to today (28th May) and I receive my latest bill with the new tariff still showing and the additional charges added on, totalling £180.74. This is approx £115 more than it actually should be (I have two lines with Vodafone). I've spoken to two different people this morning to try and get this rectified and they've said that they'll get somebody to call me on the 1st June(?) to get this resolved. I've emailed my complaint handler to tell her it's just not good enough. I feel like I've given them more than enough time to resolve this issue and if it isn't sorted I'll contact CISAS.

The customer service I've received is utterly appalling at best. I've cancelled my direct debit to Vodafone now and won't be paying the bill until it's adjusted. However, one of the team I spoke to this morning has told me that they haven't actually received the handset, so now I'm just at a complete loss as to how to get this resolved. 

If anyone has any advice - I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Sar_Mc 

I agree this is a bit of a mess and probably caught up in the red tape Vodafone's systems use.

It would have been so easy just to take the phone to a Vodafone Highstreet Store if they were open.

Vodafone will refund any monies not owed to them which is much easier than dealing with a 6 year default that they can apply if the systems show a non payment.

If a default is warranted they wouldn't remove it.

Vodafone don't even have to tell you they have added such a default. 

They can also restrict services and engage a debt collection agency.

Stopping payment although for the reasons you've stated puts you as defaulting on your contractual agreement.

You could try the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries but as Vodafone Customer services are dealing with this from a direct complaint they may not be able to intercede. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.