Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Billing

Wazzerbri
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi 

how can you be charged 15p for calling the none emergency police number . When the police tell you to use this number instead of 999 

i think it wrong to be charged for using this number 

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Unfortunatley @Wazzerbri as per the info in the police link below it is a charged for call. 

I do however agree with you. 

https://www.police.uk/contact/101/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the info 

but it is bad that you have pay for reporting a issue 

they would soon get fed up if people called 999 to report stuff 

BandOfBrothers

@Wazzerbri wrote:

Thanks for the info 

but it is bad that you have pay for reporting a issue 

they would soon get fed up if people called 999 to report stuff 

You're very Welcome @Wazzerbri

The Official Answer puts it better than I can :Smiling:

"Calls to 101 will cost 15p, no matter how long the call, what time of day it is made or whether it is from a landline or mobile phone. There has always been a cost associated with non-emergency calls. Introducing 101 allows this cost to be standardised across the country and in many cases the single, flat rate charge of 15p replaces previous higher charges. The police do not make any money from calls to 101."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Wazzerbri

You need to blame the Home Office for this charges and not the telephone companies.  Unless the Home Office changes the way the service is run, it will continue to be charged at 15p per minute by all telephone companies.

The idea if making it a chargeable service is to deter hoax callers.  As a non emergency number, any calls should be genuine and saves any problem of putting public safety at risk by being unable to connect to the 101 service due to lines being clogged up with unnecessary calls.