Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blacklisted Note 8

EnaFranks
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I bought my Samsung Note 8 direct from Samsung in October. On contract with Vodafone. It stopped working on the network. Went into the shop in Beverley, initially told I needed a new SIM card.They put a new card in, didn't work.  Went back in, now told the phone is blacklisted but don't worry about it they'll send an email and will be working in next few days. Long story short, Vodafone now say they didn't blacklist it, contact Samsung. Samsung say they aren't a network and it's nothing to do with them. Sat with an expensive paperweight now and at a loss what to do next.  Can believe I'm being told the phone is useless and no-ne can help!

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @EnaFranks

Your dispute is with Samsung, they have sold you a new phone and the phone they sold and took your money for has become IMEI blocked rendering the phone useless after barely a few months use.

You need to raise a complaint with Samsung and insist the phone they sold you is replaced with a new phone without any excuse.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @EnaFranks

If this was my situation i would first check via checkmend what the actual status of the phone is.

Can you also just for process of elimination insert your sim card in another phone just to make sure its working. 

Samsung cannot blacklist a phone's imei as far as im aware. 

Only a Network can. 

What i'm assuming is someone has reported their phone as lost or stolen to their own Network and that network has either incorrectly applied the imei block on their side or the person reporting the loss has by fluke given their imei number wrong which is yours. 

The first thing then is to find out which Network has applied the block. It may not be Vodafone Uk which hopefully is what the checkmend report will help with. 

Vodafone Customer Services maybe able to advise if it was them or not too. 

As Samsung cannot apply an imei block then I assume as far as they are aware they have not caused the issue and just sold the phone. Its not within their remit from then on apart from the 24 month manufacturing warranty. 

Its my opinion this is why they wouldnt actively replace the phone. 

Samsung have an initial 30 day swap out period if the phone fails hardware or software wise and after that the 24 month manufacturing warranty comes into effect. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, that's very helpful, I'll give it a try.

OK, so, the checkmend report says it is subject of an insurance claim and currently blocked. Doesn't say which carrier blocked it. 

Internet searching not helping - is there a way to find out which carrier has blocked my phone? Can vodafone help?

Any further help/advice very gratefully received.

BandOfBrothers

Vodafone will be able to clarify if it was them or not. 

Call customer services on 191 or try Live Chat  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

This sounds like a case of finger trouble - someone, somewhere has mis-typed the IMEI of the device they were blacklisting and has ended up with your IMEI instead !  

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@EnaFranks Sounds like you're having a very frustrating time with your new phone 😞

We'll be more than happy to double check on the blacklisting from our side. I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch, so we can investigate further and help to get to the bottom of this for you.