main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Pay monthly

Broadband router HHg2500: the worst one ever!!!

cdl
4: Newbie

I am on a Broadband monthly contract. Now, the distinguished gentlemen at Vodafone deleted (censored?) my posts in the past, when I complained about them overcharging me on my mobile contract, and it took me months to get the refund they owed me, so I wouldn't be surprised if they censored this again!

Anyway, here it is: guys, beware, this router is the worst I have ever had in over 10 years! It's supposed to support beamforming and a number of other cool features, but the truth is I have to reset it almost daily, otherwise it keeps losing the connection. Even if I am just streaming a small video from my PC to my TV (ie from my hard drive, not from the internet) and both devices are less than 2 metres from the routers, the video would still be jittery most of the times. Note that with my previous bog-standard TalkTalk router I did not have any of these issues. Oh, all of these after Vodafone already replaced my router once, and after I changed channels to see which is the least congested, etc.

Oh, and also those gentlemen at Vodafone refuse to give you the password to use your own modem BUT DO NOT MENTION THIS ANYWHERE IN THE CONTRACT!!! SHAME ON YOU, VODAFONE!!!

View more options
21 REPLIES

@cdl

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us, we'll then be able to get your issue looked into.

View more options
17: Community Champion

cdl wrote:

Oh, and also those gentlemen at Vodafone refuse to give you the password to use your own modem BUT DO NOT MENTION THIS ANYWHERE IN THE CONTRACT!!!

This is something that has come up on the forum multiple times and each and every time it gets fed back. It seems Vodafone as a business don't want to allow customers to use their own, often superior, network equipement. I'm sure it's something that is putting a lot of people off!

The offer SIM only contracts for mobile yet refuse to allow the same on home broadband! 

View more options
cdl

My main gripe is that Vodafone are not transparent about it. 

Is the restriction against using your own modem anywhere on the website or on the contract? Because I couldn;t find it! In fact, I wonder if this lack of transparency should allow clients to terminate the contract early without paying any penalty.

View more options
12: Established

There is no mention, neither explicitly or implied, of not being able to use ones own router to connect to their netowork, no one from Vodafone can point to the imaginary clause in their terms that prevent customers from using their own terms either. 

The best answer given is

" Whilst we don't specifically state you cannot use your own equipment, neither do we specifically state we will provide your login credentials to allow you to use your own equipment either. Therefore we are not under any obligation to do so" 

In short, they are providing you exactly what they promised and nothing more however I agree this is something that should be specified in the terms and conditions, much like it is specified in the terms for Sky Fibre customers that you must use the equipment they provide.

(Sky broadband customers have no such restriction)

A thought to bear in mind.

All ISP supplied routers have root access backdoors built into them for the ISP to login, update or whatever else they see fit to do with it. 

I personally think this is a glaring security risk, (once someone controls your router then all bets are off as to what they can do) so will not use any ISP supplied router which means Vodafone is a no go for me. 

View more options
2: Seeker

Reference this and similar problems.

I agree, unfit for purpose!

I am on my second router from Vodafone after suffering repeated dropouts. Now this one has continued down the same route, except now crashed out twice in a week (I mean total traffic failure, flashing red master light etc).

If my wife downloads a video class it will disconnect my machine from steam / mumble / normal browsing. if she uploads a video class, same happens.

Zero usable QoS settings available to me.

I have had to go to an external WiFi AP because their router is terrible and cant cope with more than a couple of devices and it STILL crashes out.

Tech support will be contacted tomorrow as there are already notes on file staing I want my user / pass so I can ditch this and goto an ASUS router.

So yes @Carly from Tech, please feel free to get in contact as I want this sorted.

There is a reason people who are tech savvy want their details - so we can use something we can control and most importantly - works how WE want.

View more options
2: Seeker

I have similar issues since last Friday, WAN disconnected every 1hr, also the router rebooted like crazy yesterday, 

View more options

@cdl 

Have you emailed us using the link that @Carly provided you with in her private message? If so, a member of the team will be in touch shortly.

@PSeeBee 

I've sent you a private message for you to contact us. Please follow the instructions provided and a member of the team will respond shortly.

@i8086

Are you still having issues with your router? If so, please let us know and we'll be able to look into this for you.

View more options
cdl

I managed to speak to a call centre 'manager' about this; he pointed me to clause 6.12 in https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/broadband-and-home-phone/vodafone-broadband... , but this only states that I can only use CE-certified equipment, and that I am not to connect any equipment which may cause harm to the network. Well, of course I am going to use a CE-certified router, and of course using a non-Vodafone router does not harm your network! I pointed out that this clause makes no mention whatsoever of any kind of restriction preventing customers from using non-Vodafone equipment, and he tried to argue it's just a matter of interpretation, which is honestly so ludicrous that it's offensive!

I have made a written complaint to Vodafone and am ready to escalate this matter to Ofcom and the Ombudsmam if Vodafone continues to be so unreasonable. 

View more options
10: Established

@cdl :  Same for me earlier this month - at least they are being consistent I alwats use Chat so I get a transcript from vodafone.

Esther: I am aware of some customer getting the router username and passwords but there has been a clamp down on this and is even part of our terms and conditions - by no means are we to supply customers with username and password

Esther: I am sorry you was mis informed by the sales agent but nobody in the Home phone and Broadband department will give you the username and password

Me: Are you able to point me to the T direction: ltr;" dir="ltr">sure ill just get you the link now

Me: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/broadband-and-home-phone/vodafone-broadband-and-home-phone-terms-and-conditions/ [1]

Esther: please read the clause in section 6

Me: Can you specify the specific clause I cannot see where it says I cannot use my own, nor where it says I must only use yours

Esther: Thanks for waiting. Ill be with you in just a moment.

Esther: this is found under clause 6.10 If (1) you prevent us from carrying out the necessary maintenance to your Vodafone Broadband and Home Phone Services; (2) you misuse or damage the Vodafone Managed Equipment or the Broadband Equipment; (3) there’s a fault with your own equipment or if you’ve incorrectly configured your own equipment; or (4) you fail to comply with the terms of this Agreement, we may charge you a Service and Maintenance Fee.

Esther: if you are to use a third party router we are not able to carry out the necessary maintenance on the router which we do periodically via updating the security and firmware of the router

Me: Im not sure I understand then why some people are able to but not me, even though I was promised otherwise. It seems the interpretation of this clause is vague.. Using my own equipment ofcourse does not prevent you from doing whatever you want with your equipment, infact Id willingly return your equipment so you could maintain it as you see fit. :-)

Esther: We do not supply the router usernames and passwords, this rule was more relaxed in the past but then it caused a major security breach on our network which has caused us to ban giving username and password for the router.

Esther: I am sorry but anyone you speak to from Vodafone regarding getting the username and password will tell you exactly the same. Its part of Vodafone internal policy for the Home Phone and Broadband department

Me: Is it possible to escalate to anybody - as many many other providers do not have security breaches with their policy ?

Esther: Unfortunately any escalation on this matter will not be taken because we do not provide username and password for the router. Unlike many other Internet Service Provider we at Vodafone have a strict policy on this.
View more options
cdl

@paulcormack, what do you plan to do about it? I have made a written complaint here:https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/complaints-b/

We can then escalate to the Ombudsman https://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html if Vodafone do not reply in 8 weeks; if they do before then and don't listen to us, we need to get a deadlock letetr and take that to the Ombudsman,

I am not debating their internal policies. They can do whatever they want, for all I care. I am debating the lack of transparency, because this restriction is soemthing we were not aware of and we never agreed to!

By the way, I'd be perfectly happy if they provided their own modem, so that I could sue my oown router without needing any broadband password. The vodafone router cannot really be sued as a modem only, if I understand correctly. You can switch wifi off and connect another router, but I'm not sure that's ideal: I'm afraid of all kinds of complications having two firewalls, DHCP, NAT, etc.

View more options

@cdl  So just now I have my trustworthy ASUS doing all the hard stuff.  DHCP, WiFi is turned off.  You can tdo much with NAT on it but moving the ASUS router into the DMZ handles most of that.

I have absolutely nothing running on the Vodafone box and luckily my ASUS allows me to nominate a LAN port as the WAN. 

It works great for all the thing I need.  I do appreciate that some other things may have issues with this setup but for me it is working absolutely fine.  I was a bit worried though before I got it all setup and running the way I wanted.

The only issue I have with it all just now is that it is using up space and also a power socket, but it is no worse than a modem, and honestly I may even turn on the WiFi at some point later to perhaps bypass some VPM tunelling I have going on from my ASUS...having that ability might be useful later (that is one router vpn tunelling and the connect no tunnelling - I can see benefits to that) but then I could always setup routes in my ASUS to do that anyway.

I have not taken it any further, I am still well within my 30 day trial/cool down and I was going to see if it worked out for me technically before deciding wether to stay or not.  I realise some people are unfortunately not so lucky.

View more options
cdl

I see, that's useful. Not perfect but much better.

Have you tried transferring files from one PC to another, when both are connected to the Asus router via wifi? One of my gripes with the Vodafone router is that this way file transfer speeds are about 0.5 MB/sec, which is simply inexplicable and inexcusable; with an old 802.11n router I get 3.5MB/sec; of course this has nothing to do with internet speeds.

Have you had any issues with wireless isolation? Specifically, wireless devices can see the Plex media server running on my desktop PC only if the PC is connected via wifi, not if via an ethernet cable.

Finally, do you find you have to reboot the Vodafone router periodically? I reboot it multiple times a week, because, if I don't, connections will drop for no apparent reason. 

Thanks a lot!

View more options

So my transfer speed is as shown 2017-02-16 09_54_00-77% Downloading.png

I dont really do PC to PC myself - this was from an internal FTP server - it seemed reasonable speeds to me and trasnferred that 2Gb file in about 3 minutes so 2000MB / 180 = So about 11Mb /sec - seems reasonable to me.  I am connected to the 5G Wifi on the ASuS and the FTP server was hardwired into a 1Gb port.

I stream using minidnla server which runs on the ASuS router itself and there is absolutely no issues streaming at all from the minidnla server to all my TV,s.   My TV is hardwired so this likely helps.

Because I am in control of my static routes on the ASuS router and I do not use the Connect box for anything other than WAN connection (modem essentially) - I have had no isolation issues at all.  My printer is WiFi, my Swiss voice bridge is hardwired and broadcast absolutely fine on both 2G and 5G, my Apple TV is wired and I can airplay to it from everything airplayable.  

I have n ever rebooted the vodafone box because of connectivity.  2 weeks and it has been solid.  (I am touching everything wooden so I dont jinx it now)

View more options

Just wanted to correct my previous post there realised after positing it was 2G I was on - on the 5G it knocks off about 1 minutes on that transfer speed from my FTP server.

Re trasnfer using 5G :

2017-02-16 10_13_21-22% Downloading.png

And I quickly set up a SAMBA share just to make sure no degredation to copy from that and get about the same speed :

2017-02-16 10_22_37-60 Seconds remaining.png

I might enable the WiFi on my vodafone box and see what speed I get on that.   Was both your PC's connected to the same WiFi or were you mixed WiFi or mixed hard/WiFi when you were getting awful speeds ?

View more options
cdl

both wifi: 0.5 MB/sec

Connecting both via wifi to an old 802.11n router, I got 3.5 MB/sec. An older 802.11n router being 7x faster than a supposedly 802.11ac??

I cannot plug the desktop PC via ethernet, because, if I do, wireless isolation will prevent wireless devices from seeing the Plex media server running on my desktop PC. Wireless isolation is a common complaint in the forum. Yes, this beautiful router is the gift that keeps on giving!

View more options

So I just plugges my FTP Server into the vodafone router and enabled the Wifi - Didn;t do any special settings... although I did not enable DHCP because I just made statics and I get good speed for FTP - comparable to the ASuS

2017-02-16 15_53_23-80% Downloading.png

Maybe you just have a rubbish router or it is on a congested channel or something ?   I think it would be worth a call because the router is obviously not that bad by design as throughput seems ok for me ?  In fairness once again I just have two devices connected and one is wired so this also suggests that the routing is ok between the wired and wireless.

I would definately give them a call and see if there is something goin gon with your router - maybe the QoS stuff they try and automatically setup has went bonkers.   I know they did say you could "boost" clients and stuff in some of their marketing materials... 

Let us know how you get on with your troubleshooting or if there is anything anyone can check out for you in the community.

View more options
cdl

Vodafone has already replaced the router once.

I use the "wifi analyzer" app on my Android phone to test channel congestion and signal strength. I split the 2.4 and the 5Ghz SSIDs; I chose a channel for the 2.4 one that is not in use by any other network. There are no other 5GHz networks, so there should be no issue there.

I have already spent hours on the phone with Vodafone. I honestly have no intention of wasting any more of my time with them, because it's clear that the people manning the phones are way more incompetent than me, as I explained in my other post. The last guy I spoke to could not get his ehad round the fact that two PCs connected to the router could transfer files between each other without accessing the inetrnet, and insisted on me doing download speed tests. It was like speaking in another language. 

View more options

@cdl I dont blame you at all mate.   It is so frustrating, I am sure the router itself might be a decent bit of kit.   But even if it was the best router on the market (it's not) then to then lock out half the functionality seems an absolute waste.

View more options
1: Seeker

I've got the same feelings. Wi-Fi signal is not very good on 1st floor...getting disconnected constantly and download speed is really bad. I'm new to Vodafone. I wonder if I can connect Wi-Fi extender via Ethernet cable and that will give me more reliable connection to my pc. When I'm on ground floor where the router is, experience is not as bad.

View more options