Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calling a UK mobile abroad

Kezzieb30
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

How much does it cost to call a UK mobile that's in France on pay monthly please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Hi there, it'd cost whatever you'd pay to call that mobile if it was here in the UK (so if you get free minutes, it'd come out of those). Calling any UK mobile is charged the same irrespective of where in  the world the person is at the time. It's them who would pick up roaming charges if appropriate. 

The good news though in this case is that as of June, all networks no longer charge for roaming whilst in Europe so the person in France recieving your call would do so for free.

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

donnyguy

Hi there, it'd cost whatever you'd pay to call that mobile if it was here in the UK (so if you get free minutes, it'd come out of those). Calling any UK mobile is charged the same irrespective of where in  the world the person is at the time. It's them who would pick up roaming charges if appropriate. 

The good news though in this case is that as of June, all networks no longer charge for roaming whilst in Europe so the person in France recieving your call would do so for free.

Thank you so much! My teenage son decided to call a friend who is on holiday in France and I was worried I was going to be landed with a big bill!!

donnyguy

You're more than welcome and I'm happy to have put your mind at rest

You enjoy your night :smileyhappy:

Wow - I just did a webchat to two different Vodafone reps..

I asked them both if it would cost my daughter in the UK with a UK Vodafone Monthly contract to phone here friends UK mobile whilst her friend is in Spain.

Both agents told me it would cost my daughter International Rates!!

I referred the 2nd guy to this post - and then he double checked as said it would be part of her allowance....

Worrying!

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Very worrying and quite pathetic.

The charge is based on the nationality of the number being called. You can call a UK number as part of your inclusive allowances or normal call rates no matter where in the world the phone is physically located.

Conversely, calling a foreign number from the UK invokes international call rates even if the phone is physically in the UK.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I was just told catagorically by a Vodafone customer services agent that  that If I wanted to call a UK mobile from my UK mobile while they were roaming and I was in the UK it would be charged as international call rate.  I argued it over and over and was told that I was not correct.

I was told I needed to pay the £3 per month in order to do this for 100 international minutes!!

I argued hard but I kept getting the same reply.

CAN SOMEONE OFFICIAL FROM VODAFONE PLEASE CONFIRM OR DENY THIS?

@jeffkinn wrote:

Very worrying and quite pathetic.

The charge is based on the nationality of the number being called. You can call a UK number as part of your inclusive allowances or normal call rates no matter where in the world the phone is physically located.

Conversely, calling a foreign number from the UK invokes international call rates even if the phone is physically in the UK.

jeffkinn
Absolutely pathetic and ridiculous that people are still being told this nonsense. It is categorically untrue but I’ll endeavour to get a member of the social media team to come to the thread and post on here.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to hear you were given this misinformation @chrisgaia :Sad_face:

When you're in the UK and are calling a UK number that's abroad, you won't pay any extra charges. You can find confirmation of this on our website here.

If there's anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'll be happy to assist further.

You have to be careful though.  Sting in the tail is if you call a mobile abroad from uk which is not uk based, i.e. If you are calling friends in Ireland or anywhere in eu from uk mobiles you are charged international call rates, in my case £48 for call to Ireland.  This is a rip off with no reasonable explanation.  Had I made the same call from Spain to,Ireland with my uk mobile it would have come out of my minutes.  Seems phone companies here have decided uk not part of eu!