Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calling a UK mobile abroad

Kezzieb30
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

How much does it cost to call a UK mobile that's in France on pay monthly please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there, it'd cost whatever you'd pay to call that mobile if it was here in the UK (so if you get free minutes, it'd come out of those). Calling any UK mobile is charged the same irrespective of where in  the world the person is at the time. It's them who would pick up roaming charges if appropriate. 

The good news though in this case is that as of June, all networks no longer charge for roaming whilst in Europe so the person in France recieving your call would do so for free.

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
EU regulations relate to roaming costs only and not domestic call costs. This leads to the anachronism of calls from the U.K. to Europe being more expensive than calls outside of the U.K. in Europe.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks jeffkin but that still does not compute with me.  I was also offered the solution of 100 minutes for £3 per month not To incur charges if calling a non uk based mobile in Europe.   

My point is no one has adequately explained to me how it is be possible for me to call my family in Ireland from Spain (as I did in October) and not incur any charges but when I called from uk to same number I was charged £48!   What is the explanation for that?   My assumption (and I Asked for clarification when tAking out contract) would all calls be included in minute allowance if within Europe and was told an unequivocal yes.  Since uk is within Europe why the international charge

jeffkinn

I've given you the explanation. Under EU rules roaming costs in Europe are abolished.

Those rules don't apply when you are not roaming and using your domestic normal network. It isn't to do with geography but the home location of the phone contract.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Basically, Vodafone and other providers just want to make the maximum ripoff profit they can from you - until legislation prevents them from doing so.

After all, before the EU legislation they were charging ridiculous ripoff prices for roaming and then suddenly when the new EU legislation kicks they just had to stop

jeffkinn

That's the cynical way of looking at it. The other way is not to expect a service for nothing when the network is spending billions of pounds across Europe building the networks that we all take for granted.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Not getting it for nothing.

Paying £40 a month line rental is not nothing. 

How are they suddenly able to do something for 'free' once the EU legislation passed - which once cost an arm and a leg?

All the networks and infrastructure already exist - and yes they are spending money improving it, but, If the local user can get calls included within his monthly call allowance, why can you not get it for free or a nominal cost when calling from abroad. If they can do it when roaming for free then why does it suddenly cost a ridiculous amount when not roaming? Are they suddenly using some other super duper advance technology which is costing them 'billions'?

Just another way of milking the customer... ridiculous. I remember getting an email which made it sound like Vodafone were suddenly being incredibly generous and giving me free EU roaming - not that they were forced to do so by the EU - after years of ripping us of.

jeffkinn

Vodafone has borrowed in excess of €40n BILLION euros, as well as re-investing billion of its profits, to create that network you think already exists and has little or no cost. They pay €1 billion a year in interest alone.

There is no sudden increase in costs when calling abroad. The costs of international calling has not been removed as they have when roaming. I agree that it's a policy that doesn't seem to make sense. It's been mentioned on this forum many times.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Jeffkinn

thanks.   You sound irritated so apologies if I a man not grasping this concept.

does that mean that if my sister in law calls me from Ireland she will be charged an international call by her Vodafone Ireland provider as she would not be roaming.  Is it similar for all eu countries - they will be charged international call charges if calling from home.

jeffkinn

@Megan42 wrote:

Jeffkinn

thanks.   You sound irritated so apologies if I a man not grasping this concept.

Sorry - not irritated. I can't say if gthe same charging structure exists in other countries but probably yes.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jeffkinn

@Megan42 wrote:

Jeffkinn

does that mean that if my sister in law calls me from Ireland she will be charged an international call by her Vodafone Ireland provider as she would not be roaming.  Is it similar for all eu countries - they will be charged international call charges if calling from home.

This is from the Vodafone Ireland website:

• Access to unlimited calls and texts home and within the country you're visiting plus your home data and international allowance when travelling in 32 European destinations, at no extra charge. 
    Plus access to unlimited calls and texts home and within the country you're visiting plus your home data allowance when you travel to USA or Canada for €2.99 a day and Rest of the World destinations for €4.99 a day.

The same references to travelling and within the country you're visiting.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png