Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calls Failing

Caitlin7444
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

LN13 - Alford (Lincolnshire)

Over the past few months, I have been unable to make calls or send some texts to certain numbers, despite having full signal and allowance. When calling some number it simply doesn't ring and just says 'Call Failed'. However this is completely random as it may happen to a certain contact one day and then the next day the call goes through, then I try to call again another day and it fails again? Please help as I am paying for a monthly contract but cannot make calls... 

For reference I have an iPhone 6

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

No, it happens randomly anywhere

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

LN13 9HW, but it is not limited to this location it occurs anywhere in the UK

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Have been unable to check as have no access to another phone.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

When making calls, simply doesn't ring at all and just states 'Call Failed' despite full coverage and allowance.

When trying to text it just states 'Message Undelivered'

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

All I presume - have checked and seems to occur mostly when data settings are set to 3G or 4G - more calls go through when set to 2G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

A few months ago. But like previously stated the issue is not constant - some days it is persistent and I cannot ring at all, other days the call goes through

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Intermittent, however, it is more often than not. It happens any time of the day.

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Caitlin7444

I understand you do not have access to another phone but it would certainly be beneficial to be able to check your sim card in another phone. Perhaps a family member Or friends etc. 

As it's happening everywhere then this points to me.thinhkng it's your phone or your sim card needs swapping out via a Vodafone Store as a last resort. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thank you for the quick reply @BandOfBrothers . I'll try and use someone else's phone to see if the problem persists and update the thread with the result.

I was thinking this too, however, I had a similar issue a few years ago when switching from PAYG to Contract and had quite a palava trying to get my sim swapped for a new one and was reluctant to the idea, however, if it helps solve the I'll definitely keep it in mind.

We are having this exact same problem with my dad's PAYG phone.

Phone - iPhone 5C

PAYG SIM (most basic type - just calls, texts as he doesn't use data)

Location - South London (full bars of coverage)

Have changed to a new SIM in store - YES

Phone toggles between saying 'No Service' and Vodafone UK

When dialling out - Call Failed

When texting (even to find out balance) - Not delivered

Have tried his SIM in other Vodafone phones (iPhone 6, HTC M7, Doro) and none of them work.

FYI, I tried my own Pay Monthly SIM in my dad's phone without any problems.

When switching phone on and off, you'll maybe get one connection then its back to being faulty again. Absolutely useless as a phone which he needs for emergencies as he's elderly. We are loathed to try buying another phone as we don't know if the problem will persist.

AnnS

Hi @flora1972

From what you have written it sounds more account related and not a phone problem especially when there are no issues using your pay monthly SIM. You probably have alteady tried calling your Dad's number to see if it connects.

You mention your Dad uses the phone for emergencies, I am thinking along the lines of Vodafone disconnecting the SIM for when there has not been a connection made before the cut off period and a small top up followed by a chargeable connection may help.

Hope you manage to find the reason, being elderly and contactable is so very important.

Yes, we have tried every avenue of testing settings and calling his phone from ours etc... Nothing connects. Its as if something is blocking outgoing or incoming calls.

My parents are old fashioned. My mum also has a PAYG phone but she at least uses texts, calls and Whatsapp when connected to WiFi. My dad's PAYG phone however is only used for calls as thats all he knows (he's nearly 80). 

Normally they add about £30 credit at a time when they top up and that lasts them a few months. 

You mention your Dad uses the phone for emergencies, I am thinking along the lines of Vodafone disconnecting the SIM for when there has not been a connection made before the cut off period and a small top up followed by a chargeable connection may help.

So are you saying here, that if he doesn't use his phone enough, potentially there could be problems?? Having not had PAYG for years, what is this cut off point? Surely you should just have credit on your SIM, use it when you want and top up when needed without Vodafone tinkering with the connection?

AnnS

Hi @flora1972

I am sure not using the service is the cause of Dad's problems and adding a small amount of credit followed by a chargeable activity will solve the problem.

As far as networks are concerned although there may be credit on the account, a chargeable activity still needs to be made during a 180 day period, although Vodafone should have sent an SMS to your Dad's phone advising to use the service before the final 270 day deadline cut off.  Unfortunately, with there not being an ultimate number of mobile telephone numbers available and being an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG SIM's have to be in use, if the number is disconnected, any remaining credit goes at the same time.

Hopefully, with the network coming and going, he may have caught it in just in time.  If for any reason, there are any problems, please come back to the forum and the Team will do everything possible to make sure your Dad is able to keep the same number.

I wasn't aware of this ruling regarding credit, however he has been using his credit fairly recently so the phone/account hasn't been sat 'dormant' as he uses it to phone my mum when he's out shopping.

Let me go back a bit... In a nutshell, we bought my dad a Doro phone at Christmas. All good to begin with but then he was calling people and he couldn't hear them (as if it was muted although it wasn't) and at the recipient's end it sounded like he'd pocket dialled them. Eventually after about a 30 secs/1min, the call kicked in as normal providing you hadn't hung up by then. The same issue happened if people phoned him. 

So... fast forward to the last few weeks.... to replace the supposedly 'faulty Doro', I bought him a 2nd hand Iphone 5C from eBay. Simple to use and he was getting the hang of it. But when he tried to make a call, we got the issues I explained previously.

So basically what I am trying to say is that he HAS used the phone, therefore his credit shouldn't be affected/cancelled or whatever. Also, with the recent problems, very sporadically the iPhone will connect once then go back to Call Failed etc. There's loads of so called 'Fixes' on Google/YouTube where if you turn off airplane mode or restart the phone.... it should work. It briefly does for 1 call then fails again.

AnnS

Hi @flora1972

It's a difficult one for sure. 

With your SIM working in the phone, it won't be a phone issue, that only leaves the software.  Although you have already replaced the SIM, it might be worth asking a Vodafone Store to do a further SIM swap to a new SIM, it may be that the SIM is faulty causing the network to drop or new SIM is just not making making contact with the SIM reader.

Although you have been down the route, it may be worth asking an Apple store for further advise.  Either way, hope you find a solution.

We are at the point where he's going to ask advice in store at Vodafone, but failing that, he's going A) trade the phone in for something slightly newer at somewhere like CEX, and last case scenario, change providers and cut his losses with what credit he has left. (Unfortunately Vodafone are too expensive a month for what he'd use so we'd go to another carrier for less than £10pm without a contract).

As I said, it's important he has a working phone and sporadic connections are not ideal. He lives in South London (SW17) there's no issues of poor signal IMO... 

It's difficult as you say as i keep reading articles online that kinda say its an Apple issue, but then the fact he's been having problems both on the Doro and the iPhone, definately makes me think it's his actual account!

I'll keep you posted! :Thumbs_Up::Winking_smiley: