Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Calls between vodafone phones abroad

captainpugwash
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,  If two of us are abroad & both on vodafone pay monthly, are the caosts for phoning / texting each other the same as phoning back to the UK?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@captainpugwash - If you’re both in one of our Roam-free destinations and are Vodafone Pay monthly customers, then as confirmed above you can both use your phones like you’re in the UK. ☺️

Therefore, you won’t incur any extra cost for texting or calling each other, providing you stay within your UK allowances (receiving calls for as long as you like).

When in one of our Roam-further destinations, if you were to call the other UK Vodafone user that’s abroad with you, they won’t incur any charge to receive the call (or text), although this will trigger the £6 daily charge on your phone as you’ve made the call or the same if you’ve sent a text.

This would work the other way around too. So if the other user then called you back, they would also incur the £6 daily charge (as they've then made the call or sent the text).

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you need anything else and have a lovely time if you’re going away. ✈️

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @captainpugwash

If you are in a roam free destination, you will using your UK allowance and it will be the same as in the UK.

If you are in one of the roam further destinations, roaming on the £6.00 daily charge, providing you do not exceed the UK allowance, you won't pay any extra above the daily charge for making and receiving calls, sending texts or using data.

Further info for you below.

What is Vodafone Global Roaming and how do I use it?

T_Scarface_M
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there,

As long as you and your friend/family member are in one of the Roam Free Destinations then it should be free to make and receive calls/texts. However if one of you is in a Roam Further destination for example then that person may be charged to receive the call. As it's £6/day on Roam Further destinations.

You will find all this information on this help page on Vodafone's website. - https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Going-and-calling-abroad/Using-your-device-abroad/

Hope this helps.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

As I understand it, if you are in a Roam Further destination, you will only be charged the £6 daily sum if you make a call, send a text, or use data. You can receive calls till the cows come home, and it won't trigger the £6. So, if two people are in a Roam Further destination, and not planning to make any other use of their phones on a particular day, it would be very advantageous if only one of the people made outgoing calls.

A reasonably frequent scenario for my OH and myself is that he calls me to say "Right, I've finished my meeting here, please come and collect me". If we're in the US, that call would trigger the £6 charge on his account, but not on mine. However, if I then return his call, to warn him that I'm stuck in traffic, that triggers the £6 on my account. Then we both spend the evening calling back to the UK, to get a bit more value for our £6's! [Well, actually we both have PAYG accounts, where very light usage is much cheaper, but that's how it would be if it were PayM.]

Thanks for that, However this is where I am confused.  You say that calls between 2 pay monthly members withing that same country would be free,  I have been told by one vodafone person that they will trigger the £6 a day cahrge & by another that they will be free!!!    Can't seem to find a definitive answer?

@captainpugwash - If you’re both in one of our Roam-free destinations and are Vodafone Pay monthly customers, then as confirmed above you can both use your phones like you’re in the UK. ☺️

Therefore, you won’t incur any extra cost for texting or calling each other, providing you stay within your UK allowances (receiving calls for as long as you like).

When in one of our Roam-further destinations, if you were to call the other UK Vodafone user that’s abroad with you, they won’t incur any charge to receive the call (or text), although this will trigger the £6 daily charge on your phone as you’ve made the call or the same if you’ve sent a text.

This would work the other way around too. So if the other user then called you back, they would also incur the £6 daily charge (as they've then made the call or sent the text).

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you need anything else and have a lovely time if you’re going away. ✈️