cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use my Samsung Galaxy J6 as a hotspot?

Pennyann
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can I use my Samsung Galaxy J6 as a hotspot?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If you have the hotspot feature in your pull down shade or in the settings of the phone then yes but beware that your mobile data allowance can be used more heavily this way as other devices may display more rich content than your phone and can update on the background etc. 

The phones battery will take a hit too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the speedy response. I have found mobile hotspot and tethering under the Connections heading. I will give it a go, and see how long it lasts.

The reason I ask, is because I will be moving house, and I will not have direct internet access as I do here via broadband. I will only have my phone and my laptop. I want to use the internet on my laptop and am trying to avoid having to pay extra for broadband or a router or whatever it is I may need. Someone suggested using my phone as a hotspot, but I am a bit of a novice when it comes to all this

Thanks 

Penny

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

You're welcome. 

A laptop certainly will use more rich content and don't let it update it's software etc. 

You can set a limit in your phone for data use with warnings and data caps are available in your myvodafone for eligible contracts. 

May I ask what your Vodafone data allowance is at the moment? 

Current Phone  >

It is 1 GB.

I have only just taken out a new contract

BandOfBrothers

@Pennyann wrote:

It is 1 GB.

I have only just taken out a new contract

Can I be honest and suggest that's not a massive amount of Data allowance to tether with. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

As has already been suggested, using your phone contract as a substitute for a fixed-line connection is a very bad idea.   If you don't want a fixed line, or you want a mobile connection while you're waiting to be connected, have a look at the Mobile Broadband options.   These are designed for heavier data use and come with larger allowances.

If you do want to use the phone, I'd recommend doing as much as you can on the device itself and using the laptop only minimally - though even that will probably chew through your 1gb allowance in little more than a few minutes.

AnnS

Hi @Pennyann

If you are going to be using your phone as a hotspot you are going to need a very generous data allowance, as soon as you make a connection, with you downloading full pages of internet, you are going to be eating through your data allowance very quickly and you will need to monitor your usage very carefully from the My Vodafone Application, from the information on this link Monitoring your data usage If you do not want a bill shock, there is the data cap you can put on your account and this will prevent you going over your monthly allocation.  Details here:  Data Capping

Before you start using your phone as a hotspot, you will need to contact Customer Services and ask them to enable tethering on your account and you should be pretty well ready to start using the service.  

As alternative to using your phone would be to purchase a dongle on PAYG, this way you will not use any of your phone data allowance.  If this is an option there is information on this link: Mobile Broadband

@Pennyann

If you only have 1GB  you had better forget about internet access and keep the phone on WiFi as much as possible, you will get through 1GB without even trying on your phone.  If you are serious about tethering, you need the largest possible data allowance or use a mobile broadband dongle.