cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can a contract be upgraded if your not the account holder?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In a summary

I tried to transfer a contract ownership to a person who was interested in a phone contract. So i filled in in a transfer of ownership form emailed store manager of vodafone and he did the transfer and within 24 hours the guy that was receiving the contract decided to place an upgrade on the number and have it sent to a london store and he got it upgrades and a level 1 user on the account.

Now when this happened the fraud department blocked it and it's still on.

So if your a level 1 user and not the owner of a contract account is true or false that a person can get an upgrade on the number if there not the account holder.

I just need a bit of help.

Thank You

14 REPLIES 14

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous

That doesn't sound right. When you do a transfer of ownership, the person you are transferring to has to accept the contract. As soon as this has been done you will receive confirmation from Vodafone to let you know you have no further responsibility towards the contract and repayments.

Vodafone have a three month payment rule, that means the new contract owner would have been unable to upgrade until the third payment had been received.

As there is some confusion here live chat should be able to look at the account. Alternatively wait for the forum team to get to the thread and they will be able to help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what to do.

Fraud Monitoring won't listen.

The upgrade was an iphone

So i may need help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to repear what I've said because i feel lost.

I tried to transfer ownership of a contract and there was an upgrade on the account by a level 1 user.

Fraud got involved and blocked it.

So the person that upgraded the number wasn't the account holder..

I need help.

TimGriff6
13: Advanced Member

From the help section on Transfer of Ownership:

Transfers of mobile accounts only: Please note that the recipient won't be eligible to upgrade for 90 days following the transfer. If an upgrade is due, we recommend doing this before transferring between account holders.

From this you can see that the answer to your query is no.

E-mailing a transfer of ownership form to a store manager does not ring true and it might be worth checking the e-mail address very carefully.

Do you think that you have been conned into providing personal information to a dishonest person and that the Vodafone fraud department have picked up on what he is trying to do?

Have you spoken to the person you have or are trying to transfer ownership to (it is not clear from your e-mail what you have acually done)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i tried transfer ownership of the contract to this guy i had to email my details to his friend the store manager through a personal email he said it would take 24 hours to do. The guy who was going to take over wouldn't give his for the transfer of ownership,  The guy who i sent the details to he did the transfer but not the ownership and mr patel then upgraded a contract phone i think using my account on my behalf and collected from the store.

That's when fraud have stepped and blocked the account but i'm left with the bill..

He was a level 1user when he was put on the account.

That's what happened.

Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all i'm just going to post this to make people aware of the situation

My phone sim was just laying around doing nothing and i was paying £23.00 for it. So i decided to post it on marketplace asking if anybody would like the sim and if they did i would do a transfer of ownership of the contract. I guy contact in contact asking the details and he was happy and interested. 

Now when it came to transferring ownership of the contract he didn't want to give me his details when i had the transfer of ownership form so he got me to email his friend who apposed to work as a store manager in Vodafone Snow Hill Birmingham. It was a personal email containg my DOB and 4 Digit Pin. He then transferred the details over to the guy who was taking and he said it would take 24 hours to do. The next day i spoke to vodafone to confirm and they said he was an authorised level 1 user but i was still the owner but by then he had already upgrade the number that i was the owner of and had it sent to vodafone store in london where it was picked up. But then fraud stepped and blocked the account. 

Now is that correct ok if a level 1 authorised used who is not the owner of a contract number is allowed to make upgrade on my behalf without me knowing or does the owner have to do that.

Because fraud are now saying that im liable for which i never did make the upgrade or collect the phone.

Vodafone customer service said transfer of ownership can be done if i setup a password for the other guy for him to take over which i did.

So am i correct or am i missing something?

Any help.

AnnS

Hi @Anonymous

If I am reading this correctly, you emailed a total stranger who you met on Marketplace, and gave this fraudster your personal details, including your date of birth and personal identification number.  You should never ever divulge this information, by doing so, you gave this fraudster all the information needed to contact Vodafone, pass data protection security change the account and order a phone in your name.  

As far as the store were concerned, when the phone was collected this person had all the necessary information with your date of birth and PIN to pass data protection security and there would have been no doubt that he would have been the account holder.

The forum team will indeed get to the thread there but not sure what they can do when you only have yourself to blame.  Of all things to have done email a total stranger your date of birth and four digit PIN, that is information you keep to yourself.

It would also be worth remembering there are two victims here yourself and Vodafone.  Don't see the reason for Vodafone having to take the hit when you have been so naive and willingly given a stranger confidential information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well to be fair he had a picture and said he worked and Marks and Spencers and had Information about him on Facebook.com

Your right but a little help would be good.

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Regardless of any of this, when he refused to give you his details for the TOO form something in your head should have been yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! " and you should have told him to go forth and multiply at that point.  Perhaps if you had read other tales on here of CS staff ignoring the security rules and processing upgrades/account changes which they shouldn't have allowed, you might have been a bit more cautious !