Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't log in to My Vodafone app on Pixel 2 XL

JoeeeeeeV
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all,

Looking for some help - I've recently joined Vodafone, and haven't been able to log into the My Vodafone app on my Pixel 2 XL running Android Pie.

I get to the 'enter your pin' screen, but after typing in my four digit PIN the 'continue' button doesn't light up, and I can't click it. Anyone know what's going wrong here?

Thanks,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

To clarify: there's been an update that seems to have fixed the issue.  See this thread.

View solution in original position

13 REPLIES 13

63johnw

Hi @JoeeeeeeV when you say recently, how recent ? as it takes a few days for the account to show on My Vodafone app (possibly after first bill raised).

The second possibility is the Android Pie, as I am guessing the app will not have been optimised for that version yet.

Hi 63johnw,

Thanks for your quick reply! I signed up on Monday. Until this morning I couldn't access the My Vodafone app at all - When I connected via Mobile Data it just gave me an error saying that my account was being updated. As of this morning I can now see my usage on the App, but when I try to access any settings or account information it asks me to log in. The app takes my username and password fine, but then asks me for my pin and gets stuck on the screen I attached.

I suspect it is an app bug (possibly caused by Android Pie being fairly new). Hopefully someone from the Vodafone team can raise with the app developers and fix it.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JoeeeeeeV, we've not been made aware of any compatibility issues from our other customers using the Android Pie operating system. Have you tried deleting and re-installing the app through Google play? This will ensure you're using the most up to date version of the app.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that and it's still not working. Could you look into what's going wrong here?

Thanks,

Joe

AnnS

Hi @JoeeeeeeV

@63johnw has probably given you the best answer here.  With you using Android Pie, the Application has not been updated for the software version you are using.

When Pie is more readily available to other Android handsets, the Application will be available for Pie.

Hi Ann,

I suspect you're right, however Vodafone list their app as being compatible with the latest version of Android, and I would have expected them to have sorted out compatibility ahead of the new Android launch. I'm hoping the Vodafone forum team can pass on the fact it doesn't work to their developers and get it sorted.

Thanks,

Joe

hrym

This seems to happen quite often.   Networks tend to update their apps at the point they're ready to release OS updates themselves, for their branded devices.   The number of people who can get involved with Android is one of its weaknesses (Google write it, then the manufacturers modify it for their handsets, then the networks get in on the act too.  Some devices won't support releases several iterations down the line, or maybe the user base isn't large enough to warrant the investment at that point).

I've said for some time that, at some point, Google are going to have to exercise more control and maybe have a fixed core that others can only skin.  Android One is looking like an initial move in that direction.   Once we get there, anyone with an app is going to have to be ready for updates pretty much on day one (like iOS).  Until then, early adopters may find that some apps (especially network ones) take a while to catch up.

Hi Mark,

I can see several negative reviews of the My Vodafone app in the app store with people reporting the same problem, so it's clearly not just me. Can you raise with your app developers and find out when they're planning to fix the problem? Happy to provide diagnostic data if that's helpful?

Thanks,

Joe

hrym

I suspect that the network's answer would be that they need to make sure that their own apps work seamlessly with their version of Android, and that that's why it takes a little longer to update them.   However, I've never heard of an app (and especially My Vodafone) being so finely tuned that it only works with the Vodafone-tweaked version of Android.

I've asked whether anyone on the forum team can find a Pie-enabled device and test the app.