Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can’t make calls but data and texting ok

petetobin
4: Newbie

I have spent 4 hours today on chat and phone to Vodafone with no results.  I am on Global Roaming Plus and I am in South Africa which is a roam free country.  Data and texts work fine but I can’t make any UK or local calls.   It’s not a hardware issue as I have tried the sim in two phones as well as reseting my carrier settings,  The calls are being definitely blocked by Vodafone but no one can find where.  I cheap getting random messages about Spend Manager even though it is disabled and the calls I am making are meant to be free.  Two things may have caused this an expensive genuine call I made to the UAE and I believe my contract renewal date is 20/02 so I am thinking Fraud Block or a screw up on contract rollover.  Any Ideas? 

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As you say it could be an account issue causing this but unfortunately as there is no account access via this forum anymore you would need to persevere with customer services and or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Have you perhaps tried changing to another network via the network settings in your phone.

As your also roaming on another countries network that Vodafone UK have no direct access ir control over they cannot guarantee that everything will work.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

petetobin

Thanks, good spot.  I am not going to waste my time as I am back in the UK tomorrow but it has made me realise how bad the Vodafone servicing organisation is.  The next typing I will do will be to file a complaint and a compensation claim.  I know it's difficult trying to help when there is some form of fault in the system but it was how bad the servicing experience was that surprised.  Being asked to do the same thing each time I called (so no case management), incorrect information, agents unable to understand my English accent and worst of all the Tobi Bot which has been introduced into your servicing flows and is frankly useless.

I have made it to Qatar and I still can't make any calls.  Thank goodness for Skype and WhatsApp.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not been able to make calls from a number of countries can be caused by a couple of things @petetobin, the first and quickest thing to check is you're using the international dialing code when making calls. If this is correct, we need to make sure there's no bars preventing you making calls whilst abroad. Our Live Chat team can check this for you. Alternatively, pop us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to take a look 😊

petetobin

I posted 3 weeks ago that I couldn't make calls when I was overseas.  Vodafone still can't get it fixed and I get the same problem in multiple handsets.  Data and Texts work fine and I have tried it in 3 countries.  I don't have Spend Manager switched on.  I am convinced there is a call block set by Vodafone somewhere but they think now it might be that I need a new SIM.  Before I am screwed for my 4th overseas trip, can someone tell me if a SIM problem can cause this type of issue?

hrym

It might be worth turning the Calls While Overseas bar on and then (when you've had comfirmation) back off again.   SIM issue can present themselves in a variety of ways and the only way you'd find out if this is the cause would be to go for a replacement.  I think I'd try both possibilies and see if that works.

BandOfBrothers

I agree @petetobin this does sound like an account issue.

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries and would be able to double check.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I’ve tried every route possible for the last three weeks but I am sent round in circles and asked either stupid questions (am I putting +44 in front of it) or repeat stupid actions like a Network Reset when I have explained it is handset independent ie doesn’t work in any.  I have played around with the bars, Spend Manager etc but no joy.  I just can’t seem to be able to escalate this to someone who can solve it.  I suspect I will have to take the new SIM and be back in this loop on my next trip.  Personally I am sure it is a block at Vodafone as once it actually connected for a second or two.  

hrym

Talk to the Social Media Team as they'll be able to go away and investiagte fully rather than try to fix things while you're on the phone (or chat).