Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cancel Secure Net

jakemun
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Just received a text informing me that Vodafone are activating something called "Secure Net" on my account. I didn't consent to this. I don't want this. I definitely don't want to pay for this. How do I stop it?

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Info in https://securenet.vodafone.com/ about this service. 

If required customer service on 191 or Live Chat can assist. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @jakemun

If you previously had Vodafone Protect, the service has been changed to Vodafone Secure Net.

There is further information on the link below.

Secure Net

You will however, receive this free for the first three months.  If you no longer want the service, live chat or Customer Services will get this cancelled for you.

Not sure what Vodafone are playing at here.  I never had any Vodafone Protect or other service and I've been opted in as motified by SMS.

Yes, by all means, enhance security, as most people wouldn't opt in of their own accord, but don't then start charging after a few months and requiring people to opt out to stop this.

It's a cynical way to make money out of people who don't realise they have to cancel.  I anticipate VF CS being flooded in a few months time with annoyed customers who see this on their bill.

I assume you've recently (in the last 3-4 months) taken out a new contract? If so you would have been informed that you get Secure Net for free for three months then it's £1/month after that with the option to cancel via 191, in store or via the MyVodafone app.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

I really have no idea how Vodafone get away with opting people in for this by default. 

It's a massive scam by Vodafone that must be making them a fortune, which then explains why they are doing it.

When I took out my latest contract a couple of months ago I was informed that I was getting a 3 month free trial of Secure Net and that after this time it would cost £1/month and told how to cancel it (I could even have turned down the free trial if I wanted). I would hardly call that a scam.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

I've just been onto Live Chat because I also fell victim to this scam. I spotted the free trial when I signed up and not being one to fall victim to this kind of underhanded thing I made a note on Google Calendar to disable it well before the end of the trial, which I did. I got an SMS confirming that.

A couple of weeks later I get an SMS saying that the trial was coming to an end but I could opt back in if I wanted. Another week later I get an SMS saying that my trial had come to an end but not to worry because Vodafone would continue to protect me for just £1 a month.

I look at my bill and I've been charged £0.94 for Securenet.

The irony of this is kinda off the charts. Vodafone foist a service onto me that I never wanted that claims to protect me from scams then proceeds to charge me 94p despite the service not being activated. So they use their anti-scam software to scam me.

I've just been onto Live Chat and the agent said they'd remove it again but I've not had the promised SMS notification (probably because the system knows it was already inactive) and no sign of any refund either.

pennipistle
1: Seeker

Irritated on being informed that my 3 month free trial? of SecureNet had ended I opted out of the £1pm service.  I've just reinstated it after a worrying half hour onto Three Customer Services who finally agreed to cancel the £23 bill on my wife's phone for a call to Nebraska she never made.  On Googling how she could have ended up with this charge there were so many horror stories concerning scams, some of which involve unanswered calls lasting only a couple of seconds, that I have reluctantly reinstated SecureNet.  I do believe it to be iniquitous for a company to add £12 pa (+VAT) in order to provide a secure service, but what can an individual do - apart from taking what seems to me to be a considerable risk.

Secure Net only protects you from malicious websites when surfing using the mobile network. It won't protect you against scam calls or while using wifi. It's got nothihng to do with VBF charging you to provide a secure network for making calls, as you suggest......

from https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Vodafone-products-and-services/Vodafone-Secure-Net/957092282 :

Vodafone Secure Net helps protect you and your family’s mobile devices when they’re connected to our mobile network by restricting access to certain types of web content. It also protects against threats from viruses or harmful files and websites by blocking harmful content.

It’s only available for Vodafone customers who connect devices to the Vodafone mobile network. It doesn’t work when connected to Wi-Fi, including with Vodafone Home Broadband.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4