cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cancelling contract but being charged early termination fee?????

howley20
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, my contract ends 6th December 2020.

I was told i needed to give Vodafone 30 days notice. Otherwise i would be charged the following month.

Its the 6th November today. Went onto my account and selected the number i wanted a PAC for.

Its saying i'm going to be charged early termination fee, yet i'm wanting to give the 30 days notice so that my contract ends on the 6th December.

How am i supposed to give 30 days notice if i'm going to be charged an early termination fee??? 

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @howley20 

Providing you are out of contract, there will be no extra charges or notice needed.  However, your contract still has a month to run and this will probably be the reason but there is nothing stopping you from using the PAC now and this will immediately end the account and generate the final billing. 

There is some information here: Cancel Account 

edited to add: Keep the direct debit open until you receive the final 0.00 bill as you confirmation there is nothing further owning and the account is fully closed.

So i can only give you 30 days notice after my contract ends? But then ill be getting charged an extra month if i have to give you 30 days.

That doesn't make sense. I'm wanting my contract to end on the day that my contract ends, not 30 days after my contract ends.

Its saying ill be getting charged an extra £30 as an early termination fee. But yet i will have already paid for the month 6th November to 6th December. So i'm not exactly cancelling early when I've already paid for that month.

AnnS

No @howley20 

If you use the PAC when out of contract, you don't give 30 days notice, this has changed and is no longer required. 

Use the PAC now as you only have 30 days until the end of contract and this will generate the final bill without any need to give any notice.  

So will i only get charged early termination fee if i request the PAC now? As an example if i request the PAC in the next few days but then use the PAC on the 6th December, i wont be charged early termination fee?

Or do i need to wait and request the PAC on the 6th December and use it the same day. Just wanting to get my head around it.

AnnS

@howley20 

There is nothing to lose if you use the PAC now.

Line rental is paid in advance so you have in effect already paid for the last month, but there may be some out of bundle extra charges still to come in, that is why you don't close the direct debit in too much of a hurry and Vodafone will automatically close the direct debit.

Before you close the account, make sure you have an alernative phone number set up on the account to receive the code, you will still have access to the account for 6 months after closure to view bills.

Thank you for your help and with clarifying that for me! Very much appreciated!