Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Charged After No Longer Using Account

nick1988
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi guys, small (or rather large!) concern here...

In February, I permanently damaged a phone by means of toilet bowl.

I then purchased (on contract) a new phone with Vodafone, set up a new account etc, and have paid my monthly bills, no issues there.

However, I received a letter in the post this week informing me that I owe nearly £200 on my old (defunct, unused) account, and that the account was now suspended despite not being used for months.

Obviously I'm quite concerned, could anybody help alleviate my concerns or explain what's happening here?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Tsathoggua
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

At the time you damaged and replaced your old phone, how long did your old account have left to run ?  You can't simply terminate an account in mid-contract, it has to be paid off.  If you did actually settle the remaining months of the old account when you started the new one, my apologies.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @nick1988

Please phone customer services on 191 and they'll advise the current situation with your first contract. Live Chat can help too. 

A contract does not end because either a phone no longer works for any reason or if the contract reaches full term or a person does not use the minutes, texts or data.

Instead it drops onto a 30 day rolling contract when it reaches full term until the account holder gives 30 days notice, upgrades , moves to a sim only contract  or uses a PAC to move to another Network.

I assume the 2nd contract has a different mobile number from the 1st ?

I would also suggest to check your Credit File via http://www.experian.co.uk just in case anything has been reported on it which lasts 6 years adversely affecting Credit type applications. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks guys, hold my hands up, was my foolish error & the issue has been sorted with Vodafone!

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know @nick1988 :smileyhappy: