Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Check your DDR is set up fully to avoid late payment charges

APPOOLE
2: Seeker

After Vodafone promised to refund an unauthorised extra, I changed the DDR authority.   The changed DDR looked fine, indeed I got an acknowledgement for the new bank details.  Then, (and I accept it's my fault, I didn't check my statement properly next month) the DDR was not actioned by Vodafone, so I missed one month payment, which became obvious when I received the next month bill for double.  Immediately set up a new DDR to cover the now 2 months bills (one late, one current),  and, of course,  by definition, the DDR gives the business authority to take the money immediately, but Vodafone didn't action this one for another 3 weeks.   Their excuse was "The DDR date is after the bill date, so we can't operate  it" - which is of course utter nonsense. The following month I'm hit with £5.00 late payment fee, which for my plan represents over 40% per MONTH interest. 

The Vodafone agents have been completely unresponsive in resolving this, or accepting that Vodafone have been at least complicit in the late payment (they could have actioned the later DDR straight away to minimise their loss) - so to others, please accept my experience as an object lesson, especially when setting up replacement  DDRs.   (As soon as my contract expires, and I can get out without a penalty fee, I will) 

4 REPLIES 4

APPOOLE

In fact, thinking about things, the first changed DDR probably HAD been set up correctly.  But because of the Vodafone system of not actioning a DDR "retrospectively" (i.e the DDR date is after the date of the bill that it is supposed to settle), that bill wasn't paid.  Therefore Vodafone are at least partly to blame for the late payment.   (If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd be upset by the fact that the value of the unauthorised extra that that they tried to sting me with - the cause of the original complaint - and the late payment fee are the same).

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Leaving aside the question of whether you should have checked that the bill had been paid, it should be possible to resolve this.

I missed a payment once due to a mix-up over a DD and the late payment fee was cancelled because it was the first time it had happened.   In my case, by frontline Customer Service, albeit reluctantly.

Conatct the Social Media team on Facebook or Twitter.   They can take your details privately and look into this for you.   I can't promise you a positive outcome, but I'd say you have a good case for one, this being a clear oversight.

Thanks - I'll give it a go.  I certainly won'y hold my breath, though!

Hi all - well, I THINK that Mr V has finally got the message, so we'll see how much he takes from my account next week.   If it's right, I'll be delighted - if it's wrong, I'll be an unhappy bunny!