cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Credit Check Failed but they didnt do one !

globetrotter55
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently requested a 30 day contract data only sim for a router and got told I couldnt have one as I failed the credit check.  My score is in the upper 900 excellent category with no issues so I was surprised.  What surprised me even more is that my credit is password protected and Vodafone didnt ask for the password so didnt even do a credit check, they just failed me.  This seems very common looking at the feedback.

How can you fail a credit check when they havent even looked at your credit report.  Seems bizarre.

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @globetrotter55

I'm wondering if Vodafone performed a soft search which does not leave any traces on a person's Credit File. 

I appreciate that your credit score is healthy and I assume you haven't applied for things recently ? , but even that does not unfortunately guarantee acceptance in every application. 

Vodafone wouldn't be able to discuss with a person why they haven't been accepted due to Data Protection rules. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @globetrotter55

As far is is known, the password is something for your use and not something a creditor would be requesting and passwords are something you should never tell anyone.

However, it's strange you should fail a credit check for a 30 day contract and this generally happens when the contract is being set up through a third party.   It may be an idea to try again and ask Vodafone to do a manual check and not a computerised check although it is recommended to wait 90 days after failing a check, this gives your file time to recover from the previous search.

I hope you are able to get the 30 day contract set up and wish you good luck.

With a score of 900 I assume you are checking using Experian they are not the only agency there are 3 main agencies that can be used. So Experian my not have supplied the results..

soft searches he’s still appear on the search list just not showing that you are applying for credit

you would not need to supply a password for an approved company to search you

In the UK there are three main credit reference agencies – TransUnion (formerly Callcredit), Equifax and Experian.

On a side note was this in store or online..  I had an issue in the past with EE online, went into a store and was given the contract.. at the time my score was 999..

it was online

score is 967 on experian, I have checked equifax too and all good, only transunion I havent checked.  It has shown up now (obviously it was delayed) on experian so struggling to see why with 967 o experian I fail a check on experian.  Very strange but looking at the search results for this topic it seems I am not the only one failing a credit check with a near perfect record.

@globetrotter55 wrote:

score is 967 on experian, I have checked equifax too and all good, only transunion I havent checked.  It has shown up now (obviously it was delayed) on experian so struggling to see why with 967 o experian I fail a check on experian.  Very strange but looking at the search results for this topic it seems I am not the only one failing a credit check with a near perfect record.

Trouble is they don’t only use the credit search to make the decision they will also have their own in-house system that helps then. Not all systems are perfect, as I say one day I tried online with EE was declined, tried EE via a cpw store was declined, went into an EE shop and was given a contract and they couldn’t explain why I was turned down.

maybe it was a data missmatch or typo? Or general error?