Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Credit Check for Existing Customers?

SolentView
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Could someone please give me a definitive answer as I have been getting conflicting ones from Vodafone.

I took out a SIM only contract in October, and now really could do with a new phone. Would a credit check be required to have a; a second line (i.e. a new contract) or b; an upgrade of the SIM only to a handset?

Baring in mind they obviously credit cheeked me in October.

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

As you have been Credit Checked the first time there's no need to carry out a 2nd one unless the account hasnt been managed properly. 

Ie late payments. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks,

Unfortunatly Vodafone are telling me a credit check will be required for both a 2nd line and an upgrade. However other voices at Vodafone say it will not be requided. #confused

More opinions are welcome :).

AnnS

Hi @SolentView

Vodafone have already completed a credit check for one line but before being able to take out an additionional line there is the 3 month clear payment rule.  After which time Vodafone will have an indication as to how you manage the account.

If it's only a new handset you need, you would be wise to wait until you have had the SIM only contract for 3 months.  Apart from Vodafone having the 3 month clear payment rule for new customers, you would qualify for a flexible upgrade with Vodafone cancelling what remains of the SIM only you took out October last year.  There is further information on flexible upgrades on the link below.

SIM only flexible Upgrades

Thanks,

One of the plans I was considering was to take out a new contract and then downgrade the SIM only, and buy out the contract, hopefully making it cheaper in the long run.

As for the 3 months/ payments rule, could you clarify whether that is 3 paid bills or 3 months of the contract? Third bill was paid beginning of this month but I would not have in contract for 3 months until end of this month.

Also to escape the credit check; would the contract/ upgrade need to be taken out directly with Vodafone or could it be done via a third party (e.g. CPW)?

AnnS

Hi @SolentView

It might be worth remembering that if the SIM only contract was discounted, you will be buying out at the full price of the contract, discounts are not taken into account where early termination charges are concered.  However, a flexible upgrade would work out cheaper and you also get a new phone.

Three bills paid on time.

If you take advantage of the flexible upgrade option for the SIM only, the contract has to come direct from Vodafone.

I guess it depends on what the updgrade offers are. Can anyone give even a vauge idea of what these tend to be relitive to the 'standard' prces? I'm thinkg about going for an Galaxy A5 or possibly the S7.

When I ask about 3rd party retailers I mean would a credit check be perfomed then? Or is it only when done directly that it isn't?

AnnS

Hi @SolentView

You are already a Vodafone customer with a line and a record of 3 months payments, there should be no need for a further credit credit by Vodafone or the third party.

The prices are on the website, with any additional line, you should be entitled to a discount making the agreement direct with Vodafone.  Third party prices can vary.

Thanks for your help people.

Just to set my mind at rest would someone from Vodafone be able to confirm the above please?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

The information provided above by @AnnS relating to Credit checks is correct. 

You may need a check to open a new line, but you should be able to upgrade as long as you're a Vodafone customer with at least 3 months payments recorded to the account.