Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Credit check passed and then failed??

selda_85
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

I recently took out a SIM only plan with Vodafone. However, the SIM I received was faulty and when I called customer services they were not helpful at all. I therefore cancelled the plan. Since cancelling, I attempted to take the SIM only plan again to give Vodafone another shot. However, when I proceeded to do so - I got the message on the screen stating my credit check had declined. Could you please explain what is happening here? I clearly passed the credit check the first time I took the SIM only plan out and my credit score is excellent. I have never been declined anything in my life. Further, could you please proceed to kindly REMOVE the decline mark on my credit check? I have applied for a mortgage and I do not want something trivial like this to effect my application? I am Solicitor and am utterly appauled by Vodafone’s customer services. Could you please set this right as I really need my mortgage application to run smoothly? If not I shall take this matter further to the Financial Ombudsman.

Kind regards,

Selda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I suspect that the most likely thing affecting this is the two applications close together.   There may be two applications on your credit file, but it's also possible that there aren't and that the whole thing was stopped internally.   My guess would be that it's very unlikely that there's an adverse marker on your credit file but, if you're applying for a mortgage, it wouldn't hurt to check it out anyway.

The forum team will pick this up in due course and should be able to get a definitive response for you.

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

AnnS

Hi @selda_85

It is advisable to wait 3 months between credit checks, this gives your file time to recover from the original search.

When you reapplied as a new customer, you would have been further credit checked.  As you had already been credit checked by Vodafone, a further credit check should not have been necessary.

The Financial Ombudsman is only for banking disputes, you need the Communications Ombudsman for telecom complaints.

However, give the Team here on the forum time to get to the thread, they will get this sorted for you.

Hi @AnnS,

Thank you for your reply. Vodafone Customer Serives themselves told me to apply for the deal again and that it would be fine. They told me it was a very simple check, and that I would be approved (as I had already been approved previously). However, this is not what happened. My second application came back with a simple declined check. This is what I am trying to get Vodafone to set right again. They misinformed me and are now causing me a lot of stress. I cannot have something as silly as this effect my mortgage application.

BandOfBrothers

What can occur is if a person applies for things that need a credit check too close together then this can look like a person is stretching themselves @selda_85

A points system is used.

Its recommended to leave at least 90 days between each individual application to let your Credit Score recover. 

Vodafone would not be able to discuss with an individual why an application has failed - due to Data Protection and security etc. 

You could get a copy of your Credit File report just to see if nothing is wrong on there.

Credit Houses like Experian offer a free trial period. Other credit houses are available. 

Just to add a good Credit Score does not always guarantee acceptance. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I suspect that the most likely thing affecting this is the two applications close together.   There may be two applications on your credit file, but it's also possible that there aren't and that the whole thing was stopped internally.   My guess would be that it's very unlikely that there's an adverse marker on your credit file but, if you're applying for a mortgage, it wouldn't hurt to check it out anyway.

The forum team will pick this up in due course and should be able to get a definitive response for you.

Hi @hrym,

Thank you for your reply. I hope what you're saying is in fact the likely scenario, and that this situation will not hurt my credit score. As explained to the others in this thread - Vodafone customer services team TOLD me to apply for the deal and stated that I would be accepted as I previously passed the credit check. This was of course false information, and this is the reason why I now have this absolutely uneccessary problem. I just need confirmation from the team that there are no negative markers on my credit history. 

hrym

I can't really comment on what Vodafone staff told you as I don't have inside information.  Whether a second application in a short time was enough to trigger an automated refusal, or whether there are other factors, I simply don't know.  I also don't know what happened initially, as sending a replacement SIM should have been a straightforward process and was, I assume, what you asked for.   You can also get one from Vodafone shops and they can activate them so that you're up and running more or less immediately.

The main thing is that you're in touch with the forum team and they'll be able to get you sorted.

@hrym - Just to follow up on this post - the matter has now been solved and I have a new working SIM card. Vodafone confirmed I do not have a negative marker on my credit report (phew!). Basically, as you suggested the system 'failed' the credit check as I already had an account with Vodafone which had passed the credit check, so they do not check it twice if already passed. It's blocked internally. Just in case anyone else ever has this issue, this is the solution for it - call Vodafone and they will fix it for you. Thanks to all the posters on this thread and Vodafone, it really stressed me out and I appreciate the help :Smiling: 

@BandOfBrothers,

Thank you for your reply. As I stated to the other kind posters in this thread - Vodafone TOLD ME to apply for the SIM package again and that I would be accepted without any problems. I was then declined straight away, and this is what I need Vodafone to rectify. You CANNOT give false information to consumers and put them in this situation! I am absolutely outraged at what I have to deal with now.

Yesterday I tried to order 2 pay monthly phones and a SIM card.  The agent on chat did 3 seperate orders for some reason (which meant I had to enter addresses, bank details etc 3 times).  The SIM order worked fine, the 1st phone worked fine, the 2nd phone failed the credit check.  I've check Experian and have no negative factors.  Why!!  I'm intending to cancel the first 2 orders.