Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

DATA RUN UP OVER 50GB OVERNIGHT!?

Sianc123
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My partner has been a customer with vodaphone for years. When getting a new phone, (so no updates were required), the iPhone X, he was shocked to wake up and find his 50gb of data had been used over night and began to then charge him per gb used. No background apps were running but somehow, some way, Vodaphone managed to run him up over a £200 bill. Ive seen this was a common problem with vodaphone and so my partner explain this to them over the phone. They refused to beleive him and offeres to cut the bill by 50%. Surely if they were 100% that he used this data off his own back, they would stick to their guns for the full amount. This was around 4 months ago. My partner of course cancelled the contract and went elsewhere. Today we have recieved a debt collection in regards to the payment. But we want to dispute this and take further action against vodaphone. We also want a breakdown of the bill as we never recieved it... how would we go about this. And mainly. Why was he charged 200£ over night and how would it be possible to use 50gb of data and more when youre sleeping!!?? 

5 REPLIES 5

ewanrw
11: Established
11: Established

I've seen similar situations to this where iCould Photos were pulled through to a new device whilst not connected to Wi-Fi.

That was only 37GB tho'.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Sianc123 

Data can be used by various aspects of the phone from updating and location based apps and tethering via a hotspot.

However that's a massive amount of data to be used overnight.

I always suggest to turn off Mobile Data in the phones settings when not being used or on wifi and a person has the myvodafone app to add caps etc.

Some phones have internal capping features and have inbuilt data monitors that show what's used what.

I assume Vodafone offered to cut the bill as a Goodwill Gesture. 

Vodafone can only see how much data has been used.

They cannot see what it's been used on. 

If payment has been withheld and has gone to the extreme of a debt collection company then its them you now owe.

I would suggest that you also check your Credit File via Experian or one of the other credit houses to see if a default has been placed on it.

If so this would last 6 years from the default date affecting future credit and finance applications. 

Vodafone have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts and help where they can. Perhaps let them catch up with your thread to help.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hey. Thanks for the reply. A massive amount thats near impossible to use within an 6 hour period!

My partner said over the phone he would not pay and they never billed him, and never heard from them since. No letters, no phone calls.  Even if he changed his mind and would pay the bill, surely they would still need to send a bill breakdown and warning before heading to debt collectors? Having never been in this situation i wouldnt know the procedure. 

hrym

If the data wasn't billed, I'm wondering whether it was incorrect reporting and that the data was never used.   That's probably also why no-one ever got back to you - there was nothing to see.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Sianc123 I’m sorry to hear what’s happened with your partner’s account and I can understand the frustration this will have caused.

So we can look into this and help get everything sorted, please ask your partner to get in touch by following the steps in the private message I’ve sent to you.