Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data Cap

steffangl
14: Advanced member

Hi Folks, 

I am having an issue when trying to apply a data cap to one of my numbers. 

I have tried online and via the app but the option for applying a data cap is not available within ‘mobile data options’ under ‘services and extras’. 

The option is visible for my other number and I have had it applied for several months. 

I have spoken to 191 and live chat who have been unable to help. They have advised I can apply a spend cap (I can also do this myself online), but that is a different cap that will prevent any extra charges, which I am not keen to apply. 

The agents I’ve spoken to say they get an error message saying ‘too many data caps applied’ when they try and apply it for me. 

I’ve basically been told tough and to keep an eye on usage via the app. Whilst this is a good temporary suggestion I’d have felt better if they had tried to escalate to get it fixed. 

Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Would one of the advisers on here be able to help me out beyond what I’ve been told so far?

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @steffangl  just checking, when did you take out the contract for the number in question?

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Data-capping/1...

steffangl

Hi John

10 days ago as an additional line to my account.

Thanks

63johnw

Not that then. 

If if you can hang on, someone from the team may be able to look into this and give you some help. 

hrym

That's interesting.   I'be just upgraded one of my numbers and there's no option to add a data cap.   I do have a spend limit.   I've made a note to check again after the next bill, to see if it's something to do with the upgrade process (the number had a data cap on its old tarriff).

steffangl

Interesting - maybe it's a fault with the tariffs or something?  I had a few days pro-rata on this new connection and was billed for both lines on the usual date - beginning of the week.  I had hoped this would refresh the allowances and perhaps that was the issue, but it seems not.

It was suggested I apply a spend cap of £0 or £10, but I am not keen to do this.  I want to be able to make calls at all times - not be cut off becuase I've rung an 08 number etc. in an emergency and it gets cut off when the cap is up.

I'm most disheartened by the team on 191 not even wanting to escalate it for me.

I've not ported my number from EE yet and will hang on to see if it can be fixed, otherwise I'll cancel the new line in the cooling off period.  I have to say the customer services from EE is second to none.  Far far ahead of Voda.  It seems the IT systems and back office at Voda is a bit of a mess.

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @steffangl I'm sorry to see you're having issues adding your data cap. If you're still looking for assistance with getting this applied, we're more than happy to help :Thumbs_Up: I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch. 

steffangl

Thank you Adam

I have submitted info as per your message under reference #20726927.

I look forward to hearing from the team.

hrym

If you've had an acknowledgement, you'll get a reply in due course.  Just hang on.

As regards the issue itself, I've now got my bill and, on the line rental breakdown, the problem number has an entry for "2gb worry-free data", which I assume is a bonus of some sort (it doesn't appear on the main tarriff listing).   I don't know how long thta lasts for, btu it may be for while you're setting in to the tarriff (there used to be something like this that got a specific mention in the publictity, so it looks as though it's continuing).  I suspect the cap is disabled to allow you to go into this, but obviously you'd have to be careful if you do - there's no safety net if you go completely wild!

hrym

My account has now rolled over and the data cap option is available.