cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Default on Credit Report 5 Years later...

JordR1993
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I’m unsure as to whether I am posting in the correct forum, but I am wondering if someone can help me with this query.

Around 6 years ago now I default on my contract with Vodafone. I was 20 at the time, as such, young, immature, had financial issues and didn't really have respect for the implications of what I was doing as I had never been taught such things.

Fast forward 5 years, learning the hard way, and I have never been in trouble financially since then. But the default remains. I am looking at buying a house now but have been informed by mortgage advisors this will not happen until this default drops off. So, I can’t move my life forward until such.

I have tried numerous times to get into contact with Vodafone but because I’m no longer an existing customer I get a response of "sorry we can’t find you on our system". Which is fine, but this default is still on my file, so I must be somewhere? I’m just looking at, at least talking to someone who knows how long for definite this will remain for. Just so I have some idea of when I will be able to purchase my first house.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

We all.make mistakes @JordR1993 - me too. 

Unfortunately if the default was warranted then Vodafone won't ask for the default to be removed no matter what the circumstances. 

It would stay on there for 6 years from the default date as they have a duty to report such instances.

Some mortgage companies do consider people with a default but you may have to shop around. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

So what happens on the 6 year date then? Because according to Experian that is around the 5th of May this year. If it doesn't drop off who am I to contact? Because currently I can't talk to anyone about this subject at Vodafone.

Appreciate your response anyway, like I said before, a mistake from 5 years ago still hindering you is quite harsh, especially when it was just a phone bill.

BandOfBrothers

After 6 years it should drop off automatically.

If it should not then Experian can help with that.

And the team here can help too but only after the date it was meant to have dropped off. 

I fully understand and appreciate how damaging a default can be.

As I said this affected me too sometime ago.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.