Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Hi @Ryandpercival,

Sorry to hear this.

To look into this further, I've sent you a private message with how to get in touch via email.

Thanks,

Rodney  

Ryandpercival
Hi @Rodney

I still haven't received the private message.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi @Ryandpercival,

I've now sent you another private message, please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Rodney  

Hello,

can you look into my post please?

thanks

JESSICA OMALLEY

Ryandpercival
Hi Rooney,

That worked fine.

Thanks

Ryan

jessica0721

Hello,

I am having the same problem, I cannot even remember having a vodafone account until i looked at my file to see a default on there. I never once recieved any letters regarding this and I keep all my paperwork regaridng phones and things. How do i raise this issue? I am trying to get a mortgage and after looking at my credit report I see a default on my account from vodafone. I cannot stress enough how agrovating this is when I cannot remember even having an account with you, nor can i ever rememeber getting told i owe people money.

Please can somebody get in touch with me regarding this?

Regards

JESSICA OMALLEY

Hi @jessica0721 

Welcome to the eForum.

I've sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch, so we can look into this further.

Thanks,

Sarah

Similar issue to most people in this thread in that cancellation of my account in one of Vodafone's branches before moving abroad actually led to a default status of £96 on my account due to bills being sent to me by post after I had moved out of the UK.

I have since paid the bills in full and would really appreciate Vodafone's cooperation in rectifying what must be a mistake on their behalf.

I would appreciate some guidance from the Vodafone team. Thank you in advance.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Almendra

When you cancel a contract, your final invoice is sent via post, due to your online account being closed.

We can only look at removing a default if there’s been an error.

If you feel this is in error, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

We can then check this.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi and thanks! I've now followed the instructions in your private message. Should I stay in touch via the forum, or will all correspondence be done via e-mail?

Cheers.