Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Gemma I still have not received any response. Please can you call me.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@lfcgeorge Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - has a member of the team been in touch?
If not, please let us know the reference number you received on the automated email response (it will look something like this: [#1234567]).

I am on the phone to VF as we speak.  Its a farce.  I have never seen such incompetency.

Department (a) - we cannot find you at all, not with your reference, name address, post code, bank details or account number.  30 minutes later - another department may be able to find you.

I am transferred

Debartment (b) - we have found you, yes you are here.  Well, this acocunt is closed and you owe us no money at all. There is no outtstanding balance.  Eh?  So why is my credit affected?  I have no idea.  Hang on she says - we are in the process of automatically transferring your account to another department, department (c).  Can I speak to them.  No.  Why are you transferring a closed account?  I do not know.  Is it department (c) that may have affected my score. I don't know.  

Please may I speak to a Manager?  No.  This is not an escalation matter for Vodafone.  

These calls are all recorded aren;t they?  Yes.  I will apply for transcripts..  

I will put you through to a Manager now......I remain on hold.  Its an absolute joke.

Got through to a South Afrian guy in collections and Customer Service and he said that on this system - yes, another system, I owe £35 - he does not know from where.  He then said he would speak to Collecctions and Credit and then, after 1 hour and six minutes on the phone, I was put on hold again and then, yes, you guessed it.  I have been cut off.  How the hell do I find the South African guy in the third department - who I asked not to cut  me off but did.

I have to start all over again now.  I am just crying.....

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to see that this has happened @RBJW4 - we'd like to get things resolved for you.

I've searched the email address on your Community profile and can see we've received your email. 

Our dedicated Credit File team will be in touch to discuss this further as soon as possible.

I am having this same issue, it is the only bad thing on my credit report and it is blocking anything I apply for! 

I had 4 contracts running with Vodafone and had never missed a payment in eight years. I then downsized this to two contracts and everything thing went incredibly wrong, one of the contracts - number ending 080 - ran out its 30 days and cancelled fine. But my IPad mini contract kept charging me. I rang a month later when I noticed this and they said it would be set against the balance on the next bill and that It had now been cancelled. This went on for 5 months. When I rang off com for advise they advised me to cancel the direct debit, so I did, this is when Vodafone put my account in default, at this point they had overcharged me by hundreds of pounds. Eventually I cancelled all of my contracts with Vodafone saying to me on the phone that they owed me a balance of about £30, this never arrived and the default is still on my credit rating. I don’t care about the money, but I need the default to be gone. I have tried to call several times with no success at all, the last time I was given an address to write to, which I did twice and have received no response. 

It seems that people are actually getting the problem solved on here so, please help me, I would really like to be able to carry on with my life!

Jonathan 

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jashby I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've faced when cancelling your contract and with your credit file.

We have a dedicated team who'lll be happy to help - I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

I took out a pay monthly contract with Vodafone in August 2012 and finished in 2014, closed the account as I didn’t need it anymore.

This is 2017 and I had a very good job with one of the big four consulting firm and along the line they were doing a risk assessment on all employees and to cut the story short I was laid off board.

I got another interview with another financial institution and after the interview process which I passed alright I was told they wouldn’t get me on board and was told to check my credit file.

So I checked and realised Vodafone has put a default on my credit file on January 2015 for £39 default..my account is closed and I did not get any letter to advise that I owe anything.

Now i can’t get a good job with financial institutions let alone a mortgage and it all seems everything has crumbled. I am distressed and not knowing what to do I found this web forum while I was checking for a solution.. can anybody help me out here and how can I get these Vodafone default off my credit file and get my life back in order.

Regards
Danny

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Danny39 I've responded to you on a previous thread.

Hi,

I am facing the same issue.

Vodafone has ended my contract 8 months ago. Then they left a note on my credit report to say I owe them £20, although I have a letter from Vodafone confirming the account has been closed and that there are no money due.

I have contacted Vodafone by :

Phone

Online chat

In store

And wrote them a letter more than a month ago, but none is getting back to me.

Please advise what can I do.

Thank you,

Raz

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

The process for removing a default by vodafone seems a bit long winded, so while you are waiting send a copy of the letter that you have from Vodafone to the credit reference agency and ask them to put a note on your account referring to the letter. That way anyone checking your file can see that the amount is in dispute.
Then you will need to call Vodafone on 191 and speak to collections to try and resolve the issue.