Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Dabbs
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Anonymous @carlmc83 @Kaz66 

Thanks for getting in touch. We'll need to access your account to further investigate.

Please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or get in touch on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK. Make sure to pop your username and link to this thread in your message too, this will save you having to explain again and we can help you quicker. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont have facebook or twitter 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous If you'd prefer not to set up a social media account to reach our team, our advisers will be happy to help on Live Chat :Smiling:

Hello there I'm new to all this but here it goes, I have got a bad credit rating due to Vodafone (not my doing) so I registered myself on here to try and rectify this problem!! I have see on here a lot of people have got there's sorted but I can't seem to find a link or a phone number? I have tried in the past and failed even tho they said they will do so and I paid to remove it.
I have spent so much time to no avail can some one please help me! It would be most appreciated.
Kind regards

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Sebo

One of the Tech Team here I'm sure will private message you. 

Basically you'd need to speak with customer service to go through with them why you believe it shouldn't have been applied and they'll investigate. If they find in your favour they'll either refer your case to the Vodafone Credit File Support Team or pass you on to them. 

More info in the help post I have written. 

Default-on-your-Credit-File-and How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction.

A person who is a customer on Vodafone can ring 191 from their phone or use Live Chat. 

If no longer a customer ring the Landline number and when it aasks for a mobile number ignore the prompt. On the 4th prompt it'll change to say Press 1 for Payg or 2 for Contract. 

Landline Tel :03333040191 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@Sebo We'll be happy to look into this for you. I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Your circumstances are similar to mine.

What frustrates me most is how Vodafone despite my years of royal custom were quick to put a default on my credit file without having duly informed me following what i thought was end of my contract which i didnt want to renew but appears to have been renewwed automatically and attracted some charges.

When i became aware of the debt after i visited my old house, I promptly paid it but only realised months later that the debt had already been put on my credit file as default.

I have tried contacting Vodafone hoping to resolve this situation which has affected me personally and spouse with whom I share a bank account. I'm now 43 and resigned to the fact that both and and spouse may never get a mortgage.  

I written letters to vodafone enclosed return stamps but never at any time have i received a response or acknowledgement. 

Very frustrated

AnnS

@pazz

Did you cancel your contract when it reached the end of the minimum term?  Contracts don't end, its a minimum term contract and not a maximum term.

If you did not cancel, the contract would have continued to roll over on a month to month basis until you called Vodafone and made the cancellation request.

If you stopped paying, you would still have been in contract and liable for the monthly payments and when you stopped paying, Vodafone would have have reported against your credit file.

Unlike banks and credit card companies, mobile networks asre not covered by the same consumer credit act and are under no obligation to inform before reporting.

Vodafone would have still sent email notifications of the monthly line rental bill and tried to make contact by calling to remind you that there was an outstanding amount.

@AnnS thanks

Yes i do not recall calling them to cancel the contract but certainly remember advising the change of my address which seems was never done.

What frustrates me is that VF despite my 4 years of loyalty didnt think twice about putting the notice on my file. The debt when i found out i paid immediately. I have tried contacting them countless times but never get any response.

For life changing actions, i believe VF could be more understanding especially to loyal customers. There was a clear break in communication and i admit i could have done things differently but equally, had vodafone effected the address changes, i could have received notification and settled my account which i did settle but maybe a bit too late.

My royalty over the years coupled with the break in communication which is not entirely my fault should be taken into account by VF.

Thanks all the same for your response.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi marekk,

Biffo1963 is spot on here.

So we can see what’s happened on the old account, you can see how to contact the team here.

James