Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

Hi

Please help me, Vodafone has treated me so badly and now it's affecting my personal life.

I have been refused a mortgage just because of Vodafone has messed up with my account.

I am a customer with Vodafone from last 10 years and never ever missed any payment. I took new contract and your agents messed up my billing and one of your advisor cancelled my direct debit without letting me know. I have spoken with 100s of advisors and no one is able to sort me out.  I have sent out a written complaint I haven't heard anything back. I have put a complaint again through one of your advisor on the phone, nothing happened and nothig heard back.

Please I'm in a serious situation now you have dragged my credit history from excellent to down. My vodafone account is showing up in arrears and I have been treated so badly from Vodafone and still waiting my £148 credit now on my account. A number of advisors confirmed it's been done and will show up on my febraury statement. I have chat transcript proofs and there is a note on my account I have no outstanding balance otherwise and now because of your billing system issue I can't pay my bill for this months because vodafone system is down. WHERE IS MY FAULT?

Now to get my credit reports fixed please help me I'm in a disaster just because of Vodafone. I want to pay my bill but your systems are all under maintenance so I can't even pay my bill for this month. You guys messed up my account,ruined my credit score, and I can't pay my bill THEN WHY YOU ARE UPDATING WITH CREDIT AGENCIES THAT I AM MISSING THE PAYMENTS WHILE I M NOT?

Please update with credit agencies. Please sort this out for me. please????? I have sent an email on quality.assurancevodafone.co.uk one of your advisor told me to email them would some one will get back to me please?

Looking forward to hear from you soon !

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

As nobody on these boards has any account access you will need to call 191 and ask for COLLECTIONS.

As the account has been in default (irrespective of whose fault it is) Collections are the only people who have the information needed to resolve the issue and update credit agencies. You can also send a copy of the chat transcript you have confirming you account is not in default to Experian.

While you are waiting for this to be settled you can put a Notice of Correction on your credit file explaining who the default is showing. That way any lenders can see the reason the account is in default.

There is no need to write to all credit agencies as they all share the information so if you write to Experian  (www.experian.co.uk ) once they put the notice on your file it will update with all credit agencies.

Have you tried calling Vodafone and paying the bill? When you speak to Collections they should be able to take your payment over the phone.

Hi,

I spoke with the credit team back in October 2016 to clear up a bit of a mess in regards to my account put in default by accident it would seem.

I recieved an email from the vodafone team claiming

"Dear Mr Ross Vickers

This is a confirmation email notifying you that your account would be cleared and the credit file support will be called to clear your name on Thursday 06/10/2016. This takes 30 days to take effect.

I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Thank you
Vodafone"

I have the email still as it came from noreply@vodafone. com, yet my credit report has not been updated.

Who can I speak to to get this updated to show NO Default.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@rossybearr So we can take a closer look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with our dedicated team. Once they receive your details, they'll be in touch as soon as possible. 

Lee,

The same thing happened to me.

I got confirmation from screenshot in webchat and text - see attached.

I called Equifax and Experian and they said nothing was received.vodafone credit proof.pngWhatsApp Image 2017-06-23 at 16.18.30.jpeg

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@chaimkele I've sent you a private message with our contact details. Once you've followed all of the steps, let us know and we'll chase this up.

I entered a dispute with Vodafone via the Communications Ombudsman over poor customer service and false promises. In the end my bill was reduced and I settled up. My credit rate had been damaged as a result of waiting on the Communications Ombudsmans decision before paying. My credit rating seemed disproportionately bad for just late payments so tonight I did some extra digging and I am shocked to discover that Callcredit are showing a default on the Vodafone account with an outstanding balance still remaining. No wonder my credit score is so bad! Not happy at all about this! Vodafone seems to be oblivious to the damage they cause to people's lives over silly admin errors. I would appreciate if someone could reach out to me before I reach out to Vodafone. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@paddys09 - I’m sorry to hear what’s happened.

We’ll need to look into everything further, so I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.

Guys,

Hope i am not hijacking the thread here, only just signed up to post...

I too have been checking my credit files before applying for credit, i noticed a settled default from a company called Lowell Portfolio...Long story short, i have complained to these guys as i didnt know who they were - I now know that this was passed to them by Vodafone.

Anyway, the contract in question had ended and my wife had called Vodafone to confirm all was fine - Which it was...Now 3yrs later i see this on my credit record, and causing me issues.

Lowell have said they will look into it, but i don't beleive they will be in a hurry to do so, so i am coming straight for Vodafone who are the only people who can remove the default.

Anyway, if there is anyone here from Vodafone who can contact me to sort this out, i would be very happy!

Thanks,

Matt

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@bluenoze22 – We can look into this and check what’s happened.

I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.