Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

barry12345

Hi,

I am in the same boat, today went to apply for a morgage and found out that a payment from VF has completly messed up, this is an account I had in 2010 however we are now in 2016 and to this date I had no information on this account. I am so annoyed and I wondered why I was unable to obtain credit, it was only when my morgage consulted informed me that it was on my credit and I was shocked to see, this has frustrated me because it is affecting me in all areas with credit and I need VF to take this off as no one else can.

@barry12345 - I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@Retired-Charles  Your link to CS does not work.

Retired-Charles
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@kids - Thanks, I've updated the link now. :Smiling:

Having a similar issue to all of you, however the circumstances are slightly different.

I have found Vodafone have registered a delinquent debt on my credit file pertaining a series of incorrect charges on an account I had previously closed. This is impacting my otherwise impeccable credit.  I never miss a payment and would never fail to pay a correct bill.  

I initially closed the account by notifying Customer Services on the phone, as described in Customer Service guidance on cancellation, because the initial service promised was never provided.  There were many lengthy and undoubtedly recorded calls with customer service operatives attempting initially to obtain a refund of the services not provided as promised and further upon utter frustration with the lack of progress to cancel the contract.  In various instances they could not identify my account on their two incompatible systems despite having details of phone numbers, account numbers and direct debit mandate numbers.  When I finally was able to speak to someone who agreed they could cancel my account, I was very clear that I was cancelling because the initial services agreed were not delivered and that as in any situation where a direct debit is in place I would not cancel the DD until the next payment was taken.  There was no suggestion of an early exit fee and the operative did not raise any obstacles to my cancellation other than generally trying to dissuade me.  After this finally "successful" cancellation, I sent a letter to Vodafone requesting a refund for the amounts paid for services not rendered.  I did not receive a response.

Fast forward two months and I received a notice saying I had unpaid amounts on my account.  I attempted to contact customer services to rectify this error but after having overcome hurdle of an incorrectly supplied telephone number on the Vodafone letter, I then spent cumulative hours on hold in various bouts trying to speak with anyone who agreed they could identify my account and help me but again no further forward.  I received on final letter at four months saying the account was terminated due to non-payment.  

I have subsequently had two debt collection agencies try to pursue me for the monies outstanding, both of which I provided with information regarding the account, the cancellation and all of the above, and both of which decided they had no grounds to pursue me further.  However, Vodafone have had no qualms in leaving this "delinquent debt" on my credit file. 

As I followed the cancellation procedure outlined in the guidance on the website which I was regularly referred to by customer services staff when dodging really trying to help me, and my cancellation instruction was received without refusal on the phone, this failure to fulfil Vodafone's own obligations is tantamount to harassment.  

I am posting this on the forum with the hope that a truly Customer Services focused member of staff will take the opportunity to prove me wrong in belieiving that all Vodafone CS operatives are incompetent or worse willingly deceitful, however to further attempt to resolve this I have also written to my MP and am preparing to write to the communications ombudsman.  

I will update when any progress made.  Reading from others accounts I feel Vodafone are using their big corporation status to hold people to ransom with terrible and often legally questionable customer services policies and they ought to be held to account.

J

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there winchesterj

Hopefully a member of the eForum Team will get in touch with you as they have with other posters in this thread.

Please tread carefully with this issue you're having.  If the debt has been handed over to debt collectors, it is probably going to have some form of impact on your credit file to.

I'd strongly recommend that you keep an eye on your credit file for any defaults or late payments.  If these do crop up and have been placed there in error, Vodafone will have to remove them.

PWIAC

@winchesterjr - I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

For anyone else with the same issue, try the steps listed here and if you’re still affected, contact customer service.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
Hi. You will need to contact CS and ask for the collections team. Do this during normal business hours.

If the default is correct it can't be removed. It can be marked as settled and then after 6 years it will come off your credit file.

kids

@barry12345 As @63johnw says, if the money was owed then the default marker will stand until it is settled when it will then show the account has been settled but the marker remains for six year from the date it was placed.

You should ask the credit agency to put a Notice of Correction on your file, in this you can give your explanation as to why the debt is showing. Anyone searching your file will then see the notice and have to take that into consideration when assessing you for credit worthiness.

Shab15nam
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi again,

This is my third post here and still haven't heard back from Vodafone re my problem. I agree with @winchesterjr the customer service had no idea what is happening in Vodafone. I called Vodafone few time asked to speak someone in collection or credit file team and every time I heard different excuses not to put my call through. Only once I was able to online chat with them and that was when the outstanding amount. I did ask them to send me the e-mails that they claim had been sent to me re late payments and I have been advices I'll be in receipt of them within 48 hours max. It has been 7 days and no e-mail as yet. It makes me wonder if Vodafone ever attempted to contact me at all?!
What is the achievement for Vodafone after they have ruined their customers credit file and trust of them as result.