Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

A brief update on my situation, particularly of interest to anyone who's had similar issues and is unsure about posting.  Having aired the problem on this forum, the account error has been recognised and swiftly rectified.  Now waiting to check that the note on the credit file has been removed but I have been promised it will be.

A note particularly for Vodafone; if issues such as this can be rectified so easily once posted on this forum, why on earth is the standard customer service offering not of a higher standard?  Bearing in mind the recent news regarding record complaints about customer services, the company needs to take a long hard look at this.

J

I have the same problem. Can I also get the magic private inbox message to solve my credit woes? Such an unfair situation to put your customers in, Vodafone!

nosebleeds2

Same here! Help! Can't get a mortgage because of Vodafone!!

I'm very concerned that Vodafone will have done a similar thing to me. I cancelled back in December at the end of my contract, did everything by the book and was told I didn't have to pay anything, so I thought that was the end of that! Since then I've been getting chased with a bill for £161. I phoned back in Feb or so to query this and they told me it was a mistake and not to worry, so I didn't. Cut to now and I receive an email saying my £161 debt has been passed on. I phoned again today and was told that yes the £161 is an error and I now owe £39. Well I'm not happy to pay this either after being told I didn't owe anything, these numbers are being plucking from thin air! I was a customer for over 8 years and never missed a bill, can't we just end this nicely? After reading up on this, I'm now concerned that my credit rating may have been affected. Can someone shine some light on this please?

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191.  Or you can wait for a member of Vodafone staff to pick up your post.

If you no longer have a Vodafone number ignore the prompts asking for your number and on the 3rd or 4th prompts you should be connected to a human being.

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit file Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

1. What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

1. How do I leave a Notice of Correction?

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask us to remove it.

Hi all , i'm new to the whole forum thing so please bare with me !

I have exactly the same problem and was going to give up until I found this forum and this thread ! I have hope again !!!!

The best way for me to describe what is happening to me is to attach the letter that I sent to the Customer Services Manager after many attempts to get the matter cleared up failed. The letter I recieved back from them has also got me no closer to a resolution.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

kids

There have been a few cases where Direct Debits has failed as the bank details have become detached from the account.

One of the vodafone staff will be able to assist you when they see your post, in the interim this may help:

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit file Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.

Hi Kids,  thanks for your quick responce and advice.

I have a bit more to add now i've figured out how to post.

In the letter I received back from the Customer Services Manager I was told that my account was now in the hand of "Fredricksons" and that I owed £33.99 for a service I have not used !!!!! I contacted them and was told that they have no record of my account being handed to them so I rang VF again  and was told it was with another credit service company. Rang them and they had no record of my account . I then rang Argent, guess what no record there either. I really get the feeling that the right hand doesnt know what the left is doing.

Its not the £33.99 ( for a service I have not used ) that bothers me its the fact that VF are unwilling to admit their mistakes and put things right.

It would be nice to get some kind of resolution from the posts on the forum rather than having to go to the ombudsman. Fingers crossed !! 🙂

Knox84
I have had a similar issue can you please advise me. My mortgage was declined due to Vodafone. I have a default saying I missed 3 payments at the start of my new contract how ever I contacted my bank and they said at no point in those months did Vodafone attempt to take money from my account. I had been paying Vodafone for 6 years with the same account before this happened and the statements prove I had more than enough money to cover the DD instead they charged me 3 months later for the 3 months gone? Is this my fault and will it get removed?

kids

@Knox84

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191. 

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.