Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Defaulted Vodafone account on my credit file

marekk
2: Seeker

Hi,

I have recently applied for a mortgage and to my surprise the application was declined. Reason - credit check fail. The thing is that I have never missed a payment on anything and so my financial adviser told me to get my credit report from experian and find out what is causing the issue. What I discovered is that Vodafone recorded a default on my account that I believed has been closed in November 2012 (the default is for huge £14). The contract has run out at that time and so I contacted Vodafone and told them to close the account and that I'll be moving my number to O2 and so I did. As far as I was concerned my Vodafone account was settled. Vodafone never contacted my about the £14. If they did I would have paid it. Even if the payment was to be one month late it would not damage my credit profile. Is it even legal to default my account without some sort of communication to let me know? 

Straight after I got my credit report I called Vodafone and paid the £14 over the phone. (the account will soon show as settled but the default will stay) I asked them if I can get the default removed from my credit file and they couldn't tell me so they asked me to wait and that they will be in touch within 5 days. Yeah right... I called them again after 5 days and asked them to remove the default. I was told that it cannot be done because I did not pay my bill for 10 months. I was furious after the phone call. How can I pay for a bill that I dont know even existed?

I would really appriciate some help with this matter. I know that some people have been successful with getting the default removed.

459 REPLIES 459

sophrob92
PLEASE HELP!
I am looking to apply for a mortgage so I decided to sign up to experian to view my credit score. To my suprise I can see that I have a default from Vodafone back in 2013.
I had sorted my account out and somehow my direct debit was cancelled and I was not aware of this. The time that this happened I had moved house and was not receiving the letters that advised the payments had not gone through - this then went to collection direct uk who no longer exist and as soon as I realised I rang up and straight away payed the £204.21 in full on 12/06/2013.
Please can you kindly consider removing the default on my account as I have a new born baby and this is causing me a massive amount of stress as it is going to effect my mortgage due to a silly mistake?
Thanks

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191. 

If you no longer have a Vodafone number ignore the prompts asking for your number and on the 3rd or 4th prompts you should be connected to a human being.

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit file Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

1. What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

1. How do I leave a Notice of Correction?

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.

Googie41
1: Seeker
My wife had an ongoing dispute with Vodaphone regarding cancellation of her iPad sim, for which Vodaphone kept collecting minor long after requests for it to be cancelled. The dispute was eventually settled and she paid monies owning in full and was promised by Vodaphone that no marker would be put on her credit score. We have just applied for a mortgage and the credit score has been blemished by a marker from Vodaphone contry to their promise not to. Are you able to help get this marker removed as we are expecting our first child and need to move but this error is hampering our ability to get the mortgage through and causing undue stress during pregnancy?

kids

You will need to call the Credit File Support Team  either on 191 or from a landline on 03333 040 191. 

If you no longer have a Vodafone number ignore the prompts asking for your number and on the 3rd or 4th prompts you should be connected to a human being.

If there was a default or late payment then the entry on your credit file is accurate and will remain there for six years from the date is was entered although it will be marked as ‘settled’ once paid.

If the entry was an error by Vodafone then the Credit File Support Team  can ask the credit agency to remove it.

While you are sorting this out with Vodafone you can put a Notice of Correction of your credit file and this will be seen by anyone searching you credit history. In the Notice you can give your reasons as to why you are disputing the entry. Once you have submitted the notice your credit file will be updated usually within 28 days and the Notice will be shared with other credit agencies so all your credit records are updated.

1. What is a Notice of Correction?

A Notice of Correction is a short explanatory note (up to 200 words) you can add to an entry on your credit report to explain the background to that information for example, the reason for a late payment. Anyone searching your credit report in the future will see the Notice and they must take account of it when you apply for credit. (This might slow down your application)

1. How do I leave a Notice of Correction?

Simply send a letter to the Credit Reference Agency with the wording you would like to add to your file and your full name and address. Please remember to sign your letter.

Please remember that the Notice of Correction can't be more than 200 words long, defamatory, libellous, incorrect or frivolous. The note will remain on your Credit file until you ask for it to be removed.

gareth4wave
4: Newbie

Hi,

im having the exact same problem with vf and i am in shock that its the same amount as yourself and situation ie morgage family not notified of monies owing. 

how did you get this resolved in the end?

i didnt even pay the £14 the cleared it but are refusing to clear from my credit file....so many lies and contradictions.

thankyou for reply in advance.

gareth

vanngo

PLEASE HELP !!!

I had a monthly contract with Vodafone in 2010, which I signed for my cousin, whom later went back to her home country for good. The contract was in my name but I wasn't aware of the default until I checked my credit report. There was a £63 default and I'd like to pay it off so that the account at least becomes settled. However, it has been very difficult to know whether my account is still with Vodafone or Zinc (the debt collection agency). I'm in the process to get a mortgage and I've been contacting Vodafone customer service team for the last 3 weeks without any success. Vodafone account number: [Removed] Can you please help?

Note from Moderator: Removed personal details, please refer to our Community Guidelines. 

gareth4wave
4: Newbie
Can't help you at all I paid my account in full and they won't do anything but I have half a chance, if I'm honest I don't think you have any sorry

kids

@vanngo You need to call 191 and ask to speak to the Credit File Support Team who will be able to tell you if the default is still with Vodafone or sold to the collection company.

What are the collection company telling you?

Unfortunately  as you guarenteed the payments on the account and although you were unaware of the outstanding amount due the default marker will remain on your credit file for 6 years although it will show as "Settled" one paid.

Why are you telling people to call and ask for the Credit Support team when there is no such thing? 

There is a team but it takes ages to get to them,ther uk based but there really bad to deal with!!! i had to ask the guy to calm down when i talked to them.