Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Disability Access Issue in Returning Phone for Warrantee Repair/Replacement

Gingertabby
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi all, I apologise for the long read, but it's been a bit of a saga so far.

So I set up a contract with Vodafone several months ago and received a Samsung Galaxy S7. All this was done online through the Vodafone site, which is great, as I am severely mobility restricted.

Unfortunately, I noticed on the first day that the phone froze, but I thought it was just a fluke. However, it was not, and a pattern established of the phone freezing for no apparent reason several times a week, sometimes more. Finally, I contacted customer support via live chat and I was told I needed to send the phone back. I was told to take it to a local Vodafone shop. I tried for several weeks to find a shop within 20ish miles where I could park immediately outside (I have a badge), but no luck. 

Back to the Live Chat, where i explained my problem and asked if it was possible to post the phone in. The person I spoke to said he would arrange for a bag to be sent out.

A few days later, I received an email stating they could not send me a bag directly, that I would have to pick it up "from my nearest shop."

I thought at this point that it might be worth calling one of the shops to see if they might be able to help, but searching on the Vodafone site only brings up addresses, no phones. A further Google search hasn't turned anything up either. I am beginning to think my only option is to contact the UK head office, but this all seems rather a ridiculous length to go to just to access a service that is freely available to non-mobility impaired customers.

I've posted here first in the hopes that someone knows where to find the secret squirrel list of Vodafone shop contact numbers. I'm in the Tyne and Wear area if anyone happens to know a number in that area.

Thanks so much for reading!

Kat

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

There isn’t a public list of Vodafone Highstreet Store phone numbers as they are there to assist customers in the store and as such only customer services contact them. 

In most cases it is a case of handing the phone into a Vodafone store or a person can locate a Samsung Service Location. Some are Carphone Warehouses or Samsung Experience stores. 

Samsung Service Location Finder.

Im not sure why Vodafone customers services are saying they cannot send out a Returns Bag because as far as I’m aware they can. 

Repairing-a-faulty-phone-or-device.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi Band, 

Thanks so much for your help. I'm starting to think that, because I find it very difficult to speak on the phone except with family, the problem may be that I have been solely dealing with the customer service agents in Live Chat. Given that they are on a different continent, possibly they are not fully aware of the postal options for UK customers that your links have outlined.

I've had a response now to this query from a Vodafone rep who seems quite willing and able to help me, so i will be speaking with her and hopefully that is the issue resolved.

I really appreciate the time you and everyone else have taken to help me. It really means a lot.

Cheers, Kat

hrym

Now that the team have contacted you, respond to them and they'll get you sorted.

However, there's an issue with what you were initially told that bothers me.   The first is that I thought that only devices bought via a shop could be returned via a shop; for others you need a returns bag.   I also don't think that shops carry these and I'm pretty sure that customer services can/will send them.   It sounds as though the operator either didn't know or couldn't be bothered to find out.

Edited to add: Actually, I'm thinking of returns rather than repairs.  If this is an exchange, it would need to be by post, otherwise going via a shop may be a viable option (although not for you).

I have to agree that it sounds like the people I spoke to simply had no idea of what to do. Given that it was several people and their managers, I'd say it was a systemic training gap for the live chat centre in India.

On a positive note, everything has been straightened out now and my returns bag is on its way. I've been told that I should have my phone back before Christmas!

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and support.

Cheers, Kat

hrym

Weird.   The usual problem is people being promised things they stand no chance of getting :Angry_Face:

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated @Gingertabby.

I'm glad to hear we were able to arrange for a returns bag to be sent to you :Smiling:
If there's anything else we can help with in the future, please let us know.

AnnS

Hi @Gingertabby

I am wondering is the live chat advisor realised your had mobility restrictions, it if this was known it would have been inappropriate to suggest you travelling to a store to get the phone accessed and sent off for repair.

If you try live chat again you may get an advisor who will be able to arrange a postal repair for your phone.  It may also be worth contacting the Mobility Accessibility Help Team, for help and support from the link below.

Accessibility Help

If you find you still have problems getting a postal repair for your phone, please come back to the forum for one of the Team here to help.

Whilst your phone is away, you will need a back up phone to take the same size SIM, there are some very cheap phones available from the website to tide you over whilst you wait for the return of your phone.

I hope you get your phone repaired and returned to you.

Hi Ann,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I did make it quite clear that I could not get to the shops because of my disability, hence my asking for arranging a postal return. I do believe the agent took it on board.

Cheers, Kat

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Gingertabby I'm very sorry to hear about what's happened and we want to get this sorted for you. 

As we'll need to access your account to arrange your repair via post, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us 😊