Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Early Upgrade on Sim Only

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

I have been on SIM only for over a year. A couple of months ago I upgraded the sim only plan from 20gb to the 40gb plan (12months). My account states I am eligible for upgrade from the 13th Dec.

I've took a fancy to one of the new iPhone 24 month contract offers. My question is, can I upgrade early or will I have to wait to 13 Dec? The new contract would be at significantly higher cost.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

It can sound counter productive @Jambo1872 I agree. 

Possibly to monitor if the account is managed ok and paid for etc. 

Many people do now buy their phones outright and go sim only as not to be locked into a contract term. I choose Payg and buy my phones sim free for that very reason and that they are unbranded too. 

My suggestion is to ring 191 and ask - after all it won’t harm and it’s free to ask what they can do for you. Choose the Thinking Of Leaving option when you call. 

The worst they can say is No ! :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

Thanks Ann. 

I was aware of the 3 month stipulation in the contract but surely if a sim-only customer wishes to upgrade to a bundle at significantly higher cost then it is counter productive to make them wait. I could just take the option of buying to the handset outright from Apple, or upgrading a 30-day sim only contract I have with another provider. Either way it's lost business to Vodafone over something that has been no cost to them.

"Hello Vodafone, I wan't to sign a new deal with you and give you more money each month."

"Sorry, we want to make you wait before you give us more money."

BandOfBrothers

It can sound counter productive @Jambo1872 I agree. 

Possibly to monitor if the account is managed ok and paid for etc. 

Many people do now buy their phones outright and go sim only as not to be locked into a contract term. I choose Payg and buy my phones sim free for that very reason and that they are unbranded too. 

My suggestion is to ring 191 and ask - after all it won’t harm and it’s free to ask what they can do for you. Choose the Thinking Of Leaving option when you call. 

The worst they can say is No ! :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Jambo1872

The three month rule is the same for all of us.  You have less than a month to go before being able to upgrade to a full contract with Vodafone writing off what remains on the SIM only contract.

There is nothing stopping you from moving networks but this is going to leave you liable for all the early termination charges on the SIM only when it only a months wait.  Providing the phone is in stock you will have the new contract and phone in time for Christmas.

Thanks for the replies.

BandOfBrothers I never thought of it like that, good point. Especially for new customers and account management etc.

Ann I would have just kept the contract running. I have a sim-only 30 day deal with another provider thats useful for tethering with the extra data and Voda's dead-spots when travelling. M74/M6 is quite bad where as the other provider seems to have good data coverage throughout. That account would have just been upgraded and the Vodafone contract would have been my 'second' line. Despite a very attractive offer with the other provider, I would rather stick with Vodafone as my main line for a number of reasons. The un-matched roaming provision being one. Also I've been with Vodafone for a very long time with good experiences. The point was, that either way, it would be lost business to Vodafone both short and long term. Missed opportunity so to speak.

However, it does seem if you speak to the right person something can be done. In any case the handset I wanted wasn't available right away, although I was made an offer for another one. When the handset becomes available I will be eligible for the upgrade anyway. But thanks again for those that replied.

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jambo1872 I'm glad @BandOfBrothers and @AnnS have been able to give you some clarification and advice on this. 

I hope you find a deal and the handset you want soon - and come December, it'll be a lovely Christmas treat too 🎁