Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Early upgrade Policy Change?

EmmaCMF
4: Newbie

So, from 2nd February to 19th February, I was eligible for an early upgrade, as my contract ends 18th April.  Yet coincidentally, on the very day of one of the year’s biggest phone releases, Vodafone have apparently changed their upgrade policy to 15 days before the end of the contract, with no warning.

@vodafoneuk said my account is still showing the original upgrade date, as did live chat last night, but when I spoke to live chat to upgrade today, I was told about the new policy. Can anyone from Vodafone confirm this, please?

If this is indeed the case, then I’m off.

22 REPLIES 22

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @EmmaCMF

That's strange, if you are on an eligible tariff you should still be able get a flexi upgrade. 

Lots of people have been complaining about the same issue on Twitter, and none of us seem to be able to get a consistent answer! I get that companies have the right to change their policies, but it seems very poor to change the upgrade policy the very same day that the new Samsung phone is available to pre-order.

The cynical part of me thinks they see it as an opportunity to rake in a few early upgrade payments ... I'd be interested to see if the upgrade dates of iPhone users have suddenly changed, or if it's just affecting Samsung users?

Nic0175
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was looking to pre-order the S10+ only to find out my upgrade date had changed by two months. When I spoke to Vodafone all they were interested in was trying to get me to pay for an early upgrade. Not a chance as soon as my contract is up I'm off elswhere. It's all a money making tactic.

Seems like a money grabbing tactic to me, especially changing it on the day the S10 was released. Lots of unhappy customers will be leaving, including me.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@EmmaCMF @Nic0175 I'm really sorry that this has happened when you've been thinking about pre-ordering the Samsung S10+, I understand how frustrating this must be. I'd love the opportunity to turn this around for you and help get things sorted. So I'm able to do this, I've sent you both a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

Thank you Loz, I'll be in touch soon.

Loz
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@EmmaCMF That's great 🙂 Once you've done this, please let me know your reference number. This will be sent to you in an automated email and will look something like this [#12345678]. 

Exactly same thing has happened to me upgrade date should be 20th february. Now told it's not until 20th April, told if j want to upgrade today it will be £62. Money making scheme by hitting loyal customers an absolute disgrace vodafone are. Should they not have informed customers of the change instead of just changing it. I've been woth vodafone for years but unless something is resolved as soon as April comes I'm taking my money somewhere else.

I have just been impacted by this as well - I’m furious! Was told in January that I would be eligible for free upgrade in March - only to message via live chat today and be told it won’t be until May! Then when I tried to discuss this with the agent the chat ‘conviently’ disconnected.  I have been a Vodafone customer for many years and I’m absolutely disgusted with this behaviour. I understand that company’s may have to change their policies, but it should impact new customers - not customers who have loyally used yor service for years. Considering switching to someone new for my mobile and my broadband.