Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Early upgrade fee

Tom_97
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello,

my upgrade is due on the 31st of July. Unfortunately my phone is broken and cannot be repaired, I called about an early upgrade but can not afford the fee. Typical all costs and things going wrong happening all at once, i was wondering if there is a way to upgrade early whilst paying as little as possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Tom_97

Unless you qualify for a flexi upgrade, details here What’s a Flexi-upgrade and how do I get one?, there is no cheap way to get a new phone.  Whilst being in agreement with your upgrade date July and contract ending around the end of September, your options are going to be limited to the following:

Paying off the contract leaving you liable for any early termination charges, this will leave you free to negotiate a new contract with a new phone.  You will be entitled to a 2% discount and since you will not be receiving a service, you don't pay VAT on early termination charges.

Purchase a new phone at your own expense and continue using your present airtime contract and change to SIM only at the end of your contract saving you money that way.

However, although you already have, it won't be any harm contacting Upgrades again and discussing your options, they will give the best advise.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS

Hi @Tom_97

Unless you qualify for a flexi upgrade, details here What’s a Flexi-upgrade and how do I get one?, there is no cheap way to get a new phone.  Whilst being in agreement with your upgrade date July and contract ending around the end of September, your options are going to be limited to the following:

Paying off the contract leaving you liable for any early termination charges, this will leave you free to negotiate a new contract with a new phone.  You will be entitled to a 2% discount and since you will not be receiving a service, you don't pay VAT on early termination charges.

Purchase a new phone at your own expense and continue using your present airtime contract and change to SIM only at the end of your contract saving you money that way.

However, although you already have, it won't be any harm contacting Upgrades again and discussing your options, they will give the best advise.

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

July is a bit long away to allow you to upgrade.

To get a new phone on contract you will have pay the Early Termination Fee.

Other option is to get a cheap phone that you let you get through for about 4 months.

And probably the most expensive is to get a new contract and then move you number once this contract is up.

BandOfBrothers

Id suggest to sell your current phone as a non working model and buy one from places such as CEX as one example or see if a family member, friend or work colleague has an unwanted back up phone to use @Tom_97

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.