Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ex-Partner Won't Return My Mobile Number

kestrel101
1: Seeker

Hi All - hope you can help. 

Several months when my EE contract ran out, I agreed with my partner that he would add an extra mobile phone to his existing contract with Vodafone for me, as this worked out cheaper that me getting my own contract.   I obtained a PAC code from EE and ported my mobile number to this new account.  So my moblile number was then attached to his Vodafone contract. 

Fast forward several months, my partner and I have split and he has put a bar on my number so that I cannot receive or send calls/texts to that number and refuses to let me have a PAC code so that I can use the number myself.

This is reallly distressing me as I have had this number for over 20 years, all my friends, family and contracts have it and it is a really nice, easy mobile number to remember. 

Vodafone can't help me as I am not the account holder.  Does anyone know what I can do to get my number returned to me?  

Thank you.  :Smiling:

7 REPLIES 7

redpages
17: Community Champion

That's a difficult situation and, as you say, not one that Vodafone could help with if you're 1) not the account holder, or 2) didn't have any special instructions set up on the account to allow you to manage or access the number.

Even if he's barred the number he'd still be responsible for covering the line rental costs for the rest of the contract. Vodafone could always transfer it into your name but that would require cooperation from both parties. I hope you work something out.

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

AnnS

Hi @kestrel101

Send your ex the change of ownership form here Change of ownership

With your ex being responsible for the contract it would be in his interest to complete the form and transfer the contract to you. This will be subject to you meeting the credit check criteria.

BandOfBrothers

Unfortunately from his actions he has no intention of co operating in completing a transfer of ownership request and does not seem to be concerned with having the account to pay @kestrel101

As it's now his number your without options at this stage. 

Maybe in time when the initial hurt has receded from the break up he maybe more amenable to giving the number back. 

If this was my situation I would now concentrate on getting a new number on Payg or Contract , give that to all that need the new number and move on. 

I wish you all the best with this upsetting situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

donnyguy
16: Advanced member

Definitely not a great position to be in but I also can see why he's not allowing you to take a PAC code.

Heres why:

1. You say that several months ago, you ported in and became an additional line on his account. So at that point, you jointly agreed to take a minimum term contract. You don't mention if you also took a handset as part of the deal.

2. It's a bit unfair to ask him to supply you with a PAC code. If he does this, it allows you to break the Vodafone contract leaving him liable for the cancellation fees. If you did for example take a handset when this line was set up, then he could be liable for anything up to two years worth of fees.

3. Are you currently paying him the monthly charges for the contract? Could it be that he's put the bars on the sim because the answer is perhaps not.

Looking at this from the perspective of the accout holder. He's signed up to an additional 12 or 24 month contract for you and you guys are not together now. 

You need to contact him and offer to take over the responsability for that line (the change of ownership mentioned above).

Explain that will get that number and the associated costs off his account and he'll no longer be paying for it. It does mean however you'll need to see out the remainder of the contract before you port elsewhere. Or alternatively port straight away but pay the termination fees.

But yes, if I was in his position. Unless you were offering to take over the line. I certainly wouldn't be saying "sure I'll get you a PAC code so you can take your number back and I can pay termination fees" nor would I be overly happy with someone using the line thats on my account without paying the charges. I'd have probably put the bar on as well.

Hope you do get it sorted out as I agree it's a frustrating situation to be in. I hope he agrees to the change of ownership then you're both (to an extent) happy.

peterkin262
4: Newbie

Sorry to say this but I don't think you can do too much about this without his consent.

The account is in his name, he's paid  the bills and he is liable for an early termination fee if you get a PAC code.

In his shoes, I would want you to pay the early termination fee  before I entertained any requests for a PAC code from you.

Try speaking to him, make him an offer and  hopefully you'll get it sorted. 

Getafix

I don't think the Op has really waited a year as they posted this question a year ago. :Winking_smiley:

I didn't check the date...maybe a moderator should have closed it?