Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ex husband running up bill how to block sim

vix171
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey all

My ex husband went online and took out a second line under my account with out my.consent but no way to prove this. All passes have been changed. 

I have to pay for the phone as he is neglicting his responsibility so now is running up huge bills can i get it capped or blocked as o can not afford this. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Data Caps are available in your myvodafone along with call and text bars too and if the account is in your name then speak with customer service on 191 and ask them to stop that sim card and have a new one sent out to you.

What-are-data-caps.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

stonefences
10: Established
10: Established
If you call Customer Care on 191, they will be able to put a complete bar on the line for all outgoing use. I'm glad you changed all the passwords on the account!

AnnS

Hi @vix171

This is fraud, your ex Husband has taken out a second line in your name without your consent and knowledge and used your identity. Contact Vodafone immediately and get his SIM restricted. The contract should then be cancelled by Vodafone without any responsibility towards you.

The only problem will be if he received a phone with the second line he may be unwilling to return it.

It would also be an idea to check your credit file to make sure there is nothing else in your name.

The forum team will get to this thread and help where possible.

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Simple solution, Contact your Ex and ask to take over the line and pay for it.

If refuses, then say you will cancel the line and he will lose the number completely. You need to show that you control the situation. Keep your fingers crossed that phone number might be important so not willing to bear the loss of it.

If willing to takeover, then you can write off the amount already incurred and that is that.

If not then you are liable, so, you just cancel the line. Yes, you will have to pay termination fee, but it will be a lot less than you letting it run normal course of Contract.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, you could ask the phone to be blacklisted so cannot be used with another SIM card.

When i spoke to  the vodafone team they told me they can swap the contact to his name independently after a credit check. Knowing he already has a ccj and is contemplating filing for bankruptcy im stuck with the line. Alo as he is abusive physically we are not allowed to be together so asking vodafone to swap to him is imppssible. I wouldnt blacklisting effect me tho as its under my account??  Sorry.  Thank you to every one trying to help im super greatful

BandOfBrothers

Asking Vodafone to blacklist the phone bars the imei of the phone and stops it from working with any sim card. 

In my opinion the phone is lost to someone else along with your sim card and as such due to your circumstances Vodafone should have no issues stopping the phone and sim card.

It has no effect on a persons Credit File.

As I said in my first reply " if the account is in your name then speak with customer service on 191 and ask them to stop that sim card and have a new one sent out to you."

As I also mentioned earlier you can use your myvodafone to apply bars yourself to stop him using allowances.

You'll still have two lines but he wouldn't be able to run up any further extra charges.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @vix171

With your ex Husband's financial situation he would have no chance of meeting any credit check criteria.

You are the account holder and there is nothing stopping you from cancelling the contract. IMEI blacklisting the phone would also include blocking the SIM, blacklisting is intended for lost or stolen phones and you know the identity of the person using the number and the whereabouts of the phone.

If you have access to the online account and are able to log on, under bars you can instantly block all outgoing and incoming calls, texts and data and this would put a stop to any further use of the number by your ex Husband. 

As mentioned earlier, the forum team will pick up this thread and will be able to offer you direct support.

hrym

If you have access to the account, you can, as has been said, put bars on everything.   You could (as has also been suggested) request a SIM swap and this would make the line unusable.   I wouldn't recommend cancelling the account if it's still within its contract period as you'd become liable for the full amount due.

I can't believe there isn't a procedure for dealing with situations like this and the best people to help you are the forum team who'll pick this thread up in due course.   Just hang on for them.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear your ex-husaband's putting you in this situation @vix171. Following some of the fantastice advice offered in this thread, will help you get control over this line again. If you want to make sure he's unable to have any access to this number, pop into your local Vodafone store with photographic ID and request the team do a SIM swap. They'll be happy to provide a new SIM and connect it for you.