Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excess data charges

adrianb46
4: Newbie

Despite being at home connected to my home WiFi and being told I had a Cap on my Data usage which I’ve had for years  I’ve been charged £119 for downloads which I haven’t made. 

Ive spoken to Vodafone in person and in the online chat and they are adamant I’ve used it. How I’m supposed to have made 8 downloads in a minute and in 12 years as a loyal customer never having been anywhere near this usage they refuse to even investigate. 

When I asked why I never received the text saying I’d neared my limit I was told I had to send a text to activate my cap but I’ve never had to do this before. Also on closer inspection of the downloads there are 2 different amounts duplicated exactly which is strange.

iv now had to contact OffCom as Vodafone will not acknowledge an error. This lack of customer service has made me decide to leave them at the first opportunity as i know it’s not my data usage that I’m being charged for but I’ve no choice but to pay and fight it afterwards. 

Anyome else had similar issues 

59 REPLIES 59

Thanks - I've started a new thread in the hope that Vodaphone staff will respond.  It wouldn't let me complete the complaints form as I didn't have a valid mobile number!!!!  Will keep you posted on how it goes, my only new app is the Vodaphone one which I'd never used til last week so maybe it was the cause.

My phone showed I’d only used 50GB  since last October when I brought it which averages 5GB a month so I know it wasn’t me. I was even in the house connected to my WiFi on the day they claim it was used. There’s a scam going on somewhere and I won’t give up fighting it 

Robust enough to remove a customers data cap, without notice and then charge them unknowingly? So highly unusual that Vodafone were recently fined $350,000 for 'Over charging customers' and in late 2016 they were fined over $6 million ....... hmmmmmmm?

Just because you choose not to understand how Vodafone make huge, money making errors, doesn’t mean that they do not make huge, money making errors. You cannot ignore $6 miliion!!! 

This is a response to the start of this thread.

The way Vodafone treat these issues is disgusting. We are glad to hear that customers are pursuing this legally. 

I'm sorry to hear there was a mix up with your data cap @TIME_TO_SWITCH and I'd love to get this looked into for you. As we'll need access to your account to see how this happened, please contact us via Facebook at Vodafone UK, or on Twitter using the handle @VodafoneUK.

If you'd prefer to raise this to our Customer Relations team, you can find more information on doing this in our Customer Complaints Code.

don’t bother @time_to_switch. Raise your concerns with CISAS straight away!  However make sure you keep all your correspondence with Vodafone, don’t speak with them via telephone as they lie. They also presented some made up documentation to CISAS when I filed a complaint. THEY CAN NOT BE TRUSTED! I have heard this is not the first time they have fudged paperwork to clear their name. Hopefully someone will get them good and proper one day! 

adrianb46
4: Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I’ve checked and had the Apple shop check and since October I’ve only used 50 G of mobile data and the most any app has used in that time is my sky go at 32 G. I’ve never streamed anything on my phone and at the said date I was at home connected to my home WiFi, my WiFi assist is also off I just checked.

what I find really disappointing is Vodafone’s refusal to even look into this. There are 2 of the payments duplicated exactly which is also very strange. I’ll just have to pay the bill reluctantly and carry on challenging this as I know 100% I haven’t used this data 

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @adrianb46.

If you’ve used more data that you thought, it might be an app on your phone that’s constantly working in the background. If there’s a problem with the app, it could even be trying to upload or download the same file over and over again. You might want to uninstall any apps you’ve downloaded, and then reinstall the one by one.

Another thing that can sometimes cause more data to be used is connecting to 4G. Our 4G network is much faster than our older 3G network. Some apps may take advantage of this and stream video in HD, or display pictures in a higher resolution. This will therefore use more data.

If you want us to check your data usage then I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Jrmcvic
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

yes had had exactly he same issue for period 15/7 - 15/8. All other bills during contract have been normal, then suddenly £117 for excess data use when the phone has been at home using WiFi.  Absolutely no problems with our WiFi as have another phone using EE and no excess data charge on that

one.

Contacted Vodafone who are adamant that no problem their end, but  this all smacks as a scam by them. I’ve advised I will be pursuing them through the small claims court for the amount plus costs and 8% interest per day and their Customer Relations Dept have now been brought in to reconsider.

I too will be raising this with Ofcom as it sounds like we have the same complaint and I’m adamant it’s Vodafone’s error.

I have had the same problem with excess data charges even though I had the cap on. Vodafone are telling me there was no cap in place despite me setting up the cap when I opened the contract. I have only ever neared my allowance on two occasions in two years and received notifications on both occasions. I turned my machine off in order not have extra charges. I did not remove the cap. So who did???

In December I received a bill for £237 which I refuse to pay. My case is now with the CISAS but Vodafone have still sent my details to a collections agency despite me informing them via email that I have escalated the case higher and beyond their company as it seems that they are not listening to what has occurred. Vodafone are not to be trusted! Scammers comes to mind!

I know I started this and am still adamant I didn’t use the data I was billed for and will continue to fight it. 

Befire I continue I’d like to ask how many people who’ve had this issue have the BBC app on their phones ? The only time this has happened to me was when I installed this app ( off my home WiFi ) onto my phone and I remember somebody stating that was the only difference when Vodafone tried to rip them off as well.