Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Failed credit check???

MrsLMSmith
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey,

Earlier today, I attepted to take out a new contract with Vodafone, I ordered my nice, shiny S8, to be delivered in the morning from a third party, only to receive an e-mail 20 minutes later telling me I had failed the credit check!! I joined "Check my File" and I have a very good credit score, an unblemished report!! Any ideas why I have been turned down? I have read people say "wait 90 days and try again" but I have to use my PAC code withen 30 days and my current contract ends anyway... Upgrade deals are just a rip off compared to what Vodafone are offering on this tarrif, so was just gonna switch providers Would be greatful of any advice, Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

hrym
17: Community Champion

The reasons for failing a credit check are many and a good score isn't always the key.   A lack of credit history, not being on the electoral register or time at your current address can have a bearing.  The problem is that no one will tell you what the problem is to avoid anyone gaming the system.

It might be worth looking at your credit record to see if a check has been made - I've seen checks fail because the connection timed out and the system defaulted to "computer says no".

Vodafone also have a credit file support team (normally for default disputes) who may be the appropriate people to have a look again.   Your best bet is to hang on for the forum people to pick up your post.  If they can help, they'll contact you by private message and access your account away from the public gaze.

AnnS

Hi @MrsLMSmith

The problem here is going to be the check would have been made by the third party and not Vodafone and you are going to need to contact the third party direct.  At a guess, this is Carphone Warehouse.

If you Google Credit Check, Carphone Warehouse, you will be able to see how the credit check is made by Carphone and the information they look at.

You also need to make sure the check was carried out, there have been instances where the third party computer declined the application and the check was not even done.

Hi Ann's, thanks for your reply. A credit check was done by Vodafone this morning, I looked up my credit file. I ordered through Mobiles.co.uk, which I believe to be owned by Carphone Warehouse.

hrym

It's worth hanging on here for the forum team.   Although you won't get a reason for the fail, it might be possible to get it looked at again in case it's faulty.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I think I'll take your advice and just lurk around on here, hopefully someone that can help will pick it up. I've looked at my credit report, all good, I've even asked the credit report people if they can help!! 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @MrsLMSmith

This is the official link from Vodafone on Credit Checking. 

Vodafone and credit-checking.

Vodafone not any business will be able to discuss why youve failed due to the Data Protection Act. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out Tesco's S8 deals, if that's not who you're about to leave of course.  That's where I got mine. 

Whoever you are currently with, if you don't use your PAC code your current contract won't end - it will simply become a rolling monthly contract. But you'll probably lose any discounts you had for the duration of the original commitment. 

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MrsLMSmith Unfortunately we'd be unable to offer any insight to why this may have been.
As @BandOfBrothers has mentioned, please check out more information on our Credit checking policy here.

hrym

Looks like you're out of options with Vodafone, I'm afraid.   However, as this was a 3rd party, it might still be worth trying another route.  There is a risk attached as, if this was correct (and it looks as though it is, because the check was apparently made), you could land up with 2 failed checks and that won't do your rating any good at all.   However, if there was a failure of the interface of the 3rd party with Vodafone, the check could still be faulty.   What would be really useful to know is what the result of the Vodafone enquiry was, but that's not going to be possible.   If it was "yes", but the message didn't get back, it could still generate a failure message.

I'll go back to my original observations: electoral register and time at current and previous addresses.