Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware update - issues with Philips Hue Bridge

nyfc
3: Seeker

My router updated automatically to 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.6 at some point in the last couple of weeks and ever since then my Philips Hue Bridge has not been able to connect to the internet.  This means I can't control the lights remotely and cannot use the geolocation or link to IFTT.  

I've tried port forwarding directly to the bridge and turning off the firewall.  Neither have had any effect.  I have two Hue Bridges and neither connects any longer, both have a flashing third light on the bridge showing they are unable to connect to the internet.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

68 REPLIES 68

@Domx360

Don't hold your breath, some of us have waited 18 months for seamless wired/wifi connectivity.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

All,

Vodafone has released a statement regarding this issue. It can be found here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Announcements/Vodafone-Broadband-and-Phillips-Hue/td-p/25522...

Hopefully, the new release won't take too long and everyone will be able to get Hue fully up and running again soon.

N

Through Vodafone support my firmware was rolled back to the prior version and all is well for the moment. I was told that automatic firmware updates are only pushed when a new version is released so I shouldn't be updated back to the broken firmware by accident.   Fingers crossed the next firmware update has a permanent fix.

Interestingly (and off topic) I was told that the next firmware might include a proper bridge mode so that those of us who would like to use our own routers for internal routing would be accommodated (just using the Vodafone device as a modem effectively). 

So I contacted the broadband helpdesk, they said they do not support 3rd party devices, when I quoted the Vodafone announcement about the bug and "contact our Broadband Support team who can arrange for a temporary fix for you." they said, they are not trained for this.

Brilliant.

I have SSL proxy, switched on custom content filter and added allowed pages, set up port forwarding (proxy) and fix IP for Hue Bridge - so all in all tried all suggestions, but I cannot link bridge. With all these settings I have solide blue internet led, so connection seems to be ok, but Linking the bridge does not work.

(not to mention that Vodafone content filter blocks http://free-proxy-list.net as malicious site. Next to me Vodafone's "deadlock" letter arrived yesterday that they do not provide ISP login details to use my own router).

nyfc
Tried adding the sites to the content filter and didn't work for me either. I did wonder if it is because my bridge is plugged into a secondary router behind the Vodafone router which I just use as a modem.

Another point I noticed is that Philips in the dcc address above is listed as phillips i.e. Double l. Tried both and neither worked though!

Might try calling support and getting firmware rolled back but I share the concern about auto update.

Legintoof
@myfc and all - yes the "ll" in philips was is a typo. I have tried both now with no joy. Upto two days ago it was ok for me but then it stopped working again. Last night i reset everything with a view to starting the whole process again. I rest the bridge. I reset the app on my phone and removed all reference to the authorised devices from my account. Reset my amazon dot. Done the lot. Tried it with proxy and entries in content filter and without both and with just the entries. Nothing at all worked for me this time.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Legintoof @nyfc @AKMKE

I've sent you all a private message with details on how to get in touch with us.

sk1976
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So after waiting months for the imminent firmware update, my router has now updated to

Not sure about anyone else, but this hasn't fixed the issue for me. My Hue bridge is still unable to reach the Internet and can't be controlled remotely.

I'll probably be out of contract by the time the next firmware rolls around, so guess it will be time to find a more technically astute ISP.

I was previously having the problem, and had my firmware downgraded by Customer Services.

I have just checked today and my router is showing Firmware version: 5.4.8.1.291.1.30.1.19.

I can connect to my Hue Bridge from outside my home.

Matthew