Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

First Bill

SilverSurferSue
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My first bill show additional charges for a number of 'long texts' What are they? I am keen to avoid extra charges above my monthly plan. 

5 REPLIES 5

hrym
17: Community Champion

Some devices convert SMS that are longer than the maximum number of characters into MMS, which are always chargeable.   It would be worth checking your settings to see if they can be split into more than one standard message instead.

If you're not sure how to do this, any mobile phone shop should be able to help.

Thank you very much. Back to Carphone Warehouse then. They were brilliant at setting it up for me. 

hrym

I hope you get sorted.  You can set a variety of bars on the account (I'm pretty sure MMS is one of them) via My Vodafone online or through the app.   It's worth having a look at them as the give you a lot of control.

AnnS

Hi @SilverSurferSue

You need to make sure the message is no longer than 160 characters, far better to send a text in two parts to avoid being hit with an MMS.

Try going into your message settings, there should be a setting for always download and send MMS, you can amend the setting to OFF.  Other than that it just a matter of keeping the message short and making sure you don't incude an emoji. Please see here: Why have I been charged for a text message?

Thank you. Very helpful.