Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fraud / scam

Melting
1: Seeker

How can it be that a so called organisation (first aid) can send me a text saying I will be making a payment of £4.50 per week to them unless I text STOP to a given number. Tried the STOP text but always returns undelivered. Reported as a potential scam to Vodafone service centre and was told they would monitor it. Monthly bill arrived with £22.50 extra on it and service centre says (on chat) no problem we will block calls from this organisation and inferred extra cost would be returned. Vodafone have now paid first aid despite my assurance that I had not authorised any payments to them. Got first aid phone number and have now cancelled their fraudulent process but have not received any answer to my request for refund, there’s a surprise. Vodafone’s handling of this has been totally inept. It should have been blocked at my first report but was not. They should have accepted that this scam could affect any mobile user (if the organisation have your number they just send the demand by messenger, block the STOP

12 REPLIES 12

Melting
1: Seeker

Last post cut short. Continue:

and notify the service provider that (by default of not being STOPPED) they are authorised to take payments. 

In this instance it was obvious that Vodafone staff had very little clue about the potential seriousness of allowing this scam to continue and one didn’t really understand what I was talking about! 

I am now going to formally complain to Vodafone and then, if they fail to provide the secure service they offer, and I pay for, I will take my case to OFCOM/ombudsman, the fraud investigation authorities and Watchdog. 

Hello .  Please tell me how have you stopper that 1st Aid subscription ?

thank you

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Melting

Fully sympathise with your charges.  You have been the victim of a reverse charge short code reverse charge text message, from what you have written, this could well be a running subscription service.

The best course of action now would be to complain direct to the company and demand the return of your stolen money, this can be done by contacting the premium rate regulator, PSA on the link below where you will be able to put the sender number into the number checker to find details of the company running the service.

https://psauthority.org.uk/

There is also further information from Vodafone from support on the link below.

Premium Rate Services

There are differing opinions texting back STOP or STOP ALL, by doing so you are only confirming your telephone number and letting the scammer know it is a genuine mobile number and could well have other scammers contacting you.

When you log onto your online account, there is a restriction bar you will be able to enable, this will stop any further reverse charge texts messages.  If you have any problem enabling the reverse charge text message bar, this will be something live chat or Customer Services will be able to help.

Thank for that. I have already contacted the company and they say that they have cancelled the ‘subscription ‘. They sent an email link to write to requesting a refund but from the persons attitude on the phone I don’t hold out much hope. 

I will check the toggle you mentioned. 

Hello .  Please tell me how have you stopper that 1st Aid subscription ?

Thank you

Hello .  Please tell me how have you stopped that 1st Aid subscription ?

thank you

chistery
16: Advanced member

What is the short code that the message says to text STOP to?

chistery

@Kalaanim, also, could any of the bars you have hopefully put in place now be stopping the outgoing text?

If the stop message isn't working and it's not an issue your end, you will have a much better complaint!

Lisa_liverpool
4: Newbie

I had the same. I’ve logged a complaint with the ombudsman and psa who are both looking into it. I’ve tried to complain about how they have got my phone details as I never use it online unless it’s a trusted site but also how Vodafone have allowed this to happen. 

I didnt get a form for the refund they insisted on bank details, luckily I have a bank account that can’t be used online so they will receive no extra money from me. 

I also spoke with the company and was only offered £8 back until I was persistent. Ive given all the above info to both the ombudsman and psa.