cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Has anyone been contacted by 01709918609 ?

purespace
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have been contacted multiple times by phone number  01709918609 over the last week or so and eventually answered the call tonight. They claimed to be Vodafone and wanted to reward me re an upgrade and asked for personal details. I refused and asked for them to prove they were Vodafone and confirm some of my personal details back.....they hung up !

I contacted customer support via Live Chat and the discussion is below.....any comments greatly appreciated.....please excuse typos below....

info: Sorry for the delay, we are currently experiencing high volumes. Please hold for the next available adviser.
info: You're now chatting with Kritika. Please note this conversation may be recorded for training and quality purposes. For more information on how we handle your personal data please visit our privacy policy at vodafone.co.uk/privacy.
Kritika: z1
Kritika:
Hello, you're chatting with Kritika, how may I help you today?

Andy: hi, the number 01709918609 has been rining me for days and I eventually picked up tonight and they are claiming to be Vodafone and asking for personal details....I refused to give any details and asked them to peove they were Vodafone and they just hung up.....is this a Vodafone number calling me ?
Kritika:
Hello Andy,

Kritika:
Thanks to you for raising this with us,and please don't provide any personal details to anyone and we would never ask any personal details to any of the customer over the call
and if in case any call is been arranged to you let me locate your account for you and check if there is any notes been added to the account as well

Andy: they siad they wanted to rewrad me for being a loyal customer
Andy: reward
Kritika:
Also I'll raise the case to my technical team so that they can check you should not receive any fraud calls

Kritika: Let me check your account
Kritika:
Can I please confirm your full name and mobile number?

Andy: ************ blanked out for security
Andy: *************
Kritika:
Thanks.

Kritika:
In order to resolve your query I'll need to verify your details for security purposes. Let me ask you a few questions in order to assist you.

Kritika:
For security reasons, could you please confirm the 1st and 4th digit of your PIN?

Andy: *
Andy: *
Kritika:
Perfect match.

Kritika:
Are you happy to stay online while I gather some information?

Andy: ok
Kritika: Can I please confirm what details they've requested and confirmed from you?
Andy: I confirmed non as immed=iatley questioned why they needed to know my personal details, then asked them to give me some of my details at which point they hung up
Kritika:
Kindly bear with me while I check your account details. I appreciate your patience.

Kritika:
Thanks a lot for waiting

Kritika:
I've escalated the same for you and as per the account there is a call been arranged for you from the Upgrades team and also I've escalated the same for you and we will be personally look after your account

Kritika:
Rest be assured your account is safe

Andy: would the upgrade team ring from 01709918609 ?
Andy: or is that a fraudulent number/call ?
Kritika:
Andy I've just checked with my manager for you

Kritika: And this can be any of the scenario that you may have received calls from the third party to upgrade the contract as we have some third party like CPW with us, they may have called you up to check the same for you
Kritika: With this if you wish we can block these services wherein you won't get any calls
Kritika:
And in order to upgrade or taking any contract if you don't feel safe over the call please contact us directly so that you feel safe and3 we can avoid any fraudulent activity as well

Kritika:
and*

Andy: I only want to be contacted by Vodafone NOT 3rd parties and if they are acting under your instruction hanging up on customers is extremely rude and unprofessional and reflects badly on Vodafone
Andy: What upgrade could I do ?
Kritika:
I completely agree to your concern and I'll make sure that this should not happen once again with any of your customer and thanks for letting us know as this is giving us an option to improve our services

Kritika:
Your account upgrade date is : 27/Jun/2017

Kritika:
and if you'll upgrade now you'll be charged with the early upgrade fee and if you wish to check the deals and fee to upgrade I can connect you with the etam

Kritika:
team*

Andy: no, im fine thanks for you help BUT please ensure NO 3rd party acting on your behalf calls me again or I will move my account to another provider and complain to the Ombudsman
Andy: I may even consider moving my account as this practice is really annoying and poteneillay dangerous....who are you supposed to believe !
Kritika:
I really apologize and we are just assuming that it may they called you up however sorry to say but I've not confirmed that surely they called you up with this I'll surely take care of the account that you should not face any hassle once again

Andy: Can I suggest No other Vodafone customers are contacted in this way
Kritika:
Andy no one is contacted in any rude manner for sure and as stated above as well I've not confirmed yet that its the call of any third party only

Andy: so you dont know who contacted me and whether it was one of your 3rd parties or not ?
Kritika:
Andy,as per the account we contacted you but we were not able to get in touch with you and I'm sorry but nothing else is mentioned in the account

Andy: Well if it was tonight, they did get through to me and hung up ! So if that was Vodafone Im moving my account !
Kritika: Sorry, I'll be right with you.
Kritika: Thanks for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Kritika:
Thanks for waiting.

Kritika:
Andy, I've re-checked your account notes. As per it there is no notes of the call you had received today. If there was any note then I could have confirmed you who the callers were. if you wish then I can block all Marketing calls from Vodafone, so you don't get such calls from us, and if you wish to stop all marketing calls from other companies then you can registered your number online on via the web at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk or call us on 0845 070 0707 to stop the marketing calls

Andy: Can you confirm 01709918609 is a Vodafone number ?
Kritika:
Sorry can't confirm that as we don't have this number updated on our contact list.

Andy: So you cant confirm it isnt either ?
Kritika: Sorry Andy, if we had this number with us then I would have confirmed you right at the beginning of the chat that its was ours.
Andy: Ok, so it is Fraudulent ?
Kritika:
Yes it could be

Andy: Could be ? Yes Or No....If its not Vodafone who is it ?
Kritika: As stated above, if I would have any details of the number I would have shared long before.
Kritika:
As per the account there is no note on the account so possible its not our number

Andy: So it is Fraudulent then ? why you only saying it could be ? Is it a 3rd party you have given my details too ?
Kritika: Where I've mentioned that definitely its a 3rd party number, I'm sorry to say now we don't have any details for the number and if I would have any detail I would have given that and this chat won't be so long for the same
Kritika:
I've just shared the information with you

Kritika:
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Andy: You have still not answered my Yes/No question.......You have said its "possible not our number"......is it your number or not ?
Kritika:
I'm sorry to say now we don't have any details for the number and if I would have any detail I would have given that and this chat won't be so long for the same

Kritika:
Its possible not our number

Andy: So possibly is then ?
Kritika: Possibly*
Kritika:
Its possibly not our number

Andy: Which means it possibly is then
Andy: it either is or isnt
Kritika: Andy is there anything else I can help you today except that we don't have any details of that number today
Andy: Im sorry but why cant you say it isnt your number then ? Just say it isnt if it isnt ! Dont say it possibly isnt ! How do I know that its Vodafone calling or not if Vodafone dont even know !
info: The chat transcript will be sent to: ***************** at the end of the session.
Kritika:
As I can't find any details of this number I confirm its not Vodafone number

Andy: thank you, thats all i wanted
Kritika:
Please register your number online on the link I gave you give us a call so no other companies calls you for any services.

Kritika:
You're welcome.

Kritika:
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with?

Andy: have a good rest of eveing
Kritika:
It was nice chatting to you.

Kritika:
Bye and take care.

7 REPLIES 7

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi. That is one of the numbers Vodafone use.

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Using-our-network/Calling-and-messaging/Calling/38912113/Is-it-Vodafon...

I would always advise not accepting a deal offered on a cold call, do your own research.

There have been numerous reports on here from people who thought they were getting "free" deals only to be hit with monthly charges.

Thanks, interesting Vodafone Live Chat say it isnt one of thier numbers.

Doesnt sound like they know what they doing.

hrym

I agree with 63johnw about not accepting cold call offers.  I was recently phoned by someone claiming to be from my broadband suppplier and asking for security details.   I demurred on the grounds I only had their word for it and they were happy to email me from a recognisable address to confirm.  It was worthwhile as they were actually offering a worthwhile deal (as it happens).   Any genuine caller should be happy to confirm their identity.

There used to be a list of numbers here that Vodafone call from, but I can't find it.   I've asked if it's been moved.

forumfairy
13: Advanced Member

hrym

That does indeed comnfirm that it's a Vodafone number.   You can opt out of marketing calls simply by asking next time you get one.   I did that when I added another number to my account and I haven't heard anything since.

IT is Vodafone, they contacted me I have a new tablet with laptop functions 5gb data and all sorts of bells and whistles for less than £15 per month, they don’t take bank details only dpa stuff to check you are the account holder. It’s not free but the deals are very good. 

Paddy41
1: Seeker

This is a 3rd party marketing crowd trying to replace the income stream lost when it became illegal to charge for roaming abroad. They offer a deal which appears at first to be good but, if you stop to think about it, and they try to not give you the time to do so, will actually add unnecessarily to your bill.

Tell them politely to go away, hang up, and add the number to your 'blocked' list!

Job done!!