cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help! Im a Vodafone UK customer. I just received a massive charge for an incoming international call

MS8
1: Seeker

Help! Im a Vodafone UK customer. I just received a massive charge for an incoming international call made via Skype. Why is Vodafone charging me for an incoming call?

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Was the incoming call from another UK Mobile Number @MS8 ?

Did it definitely connect via Skype ?

Your myvodafone should highlight the charges. 

Customer Services on 191 can access your Account and look at the charge and if necessary escalate this for investigation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for replying. I’ve asked Vodafone to investigate. It was an incoming Skype conference call from another international network.  

THe agent claimed it could be an issue with Skype installation on the initiators side. But I had no warning that I would be charged at my carriers rates.

AnnS

Hi @MS8

You are not charged for incoming calls, including international calls, on your home network when the call is connected through the mobile network.

However, Skype uses data, if you were connected through the network using mobile data without a Wifi connection, these will be data charges, you will use at least 1MB of data per minute of calling, probably a lot more, if this was a video call or high quality you can expect to see the data use trebled.

To avoid charges using Skype, you need to turn off your mobile data and make sure you are connected via Wifi only.

If you have received the bill and are unclear of the data charges for the Skype call this will be something live chat will be able to explain.

Thanks. This was showing as a mobile charge which is odd I felt. It was an incoming Skype call from an international number. 

Wasnt sure how how this has happened and Vodafone Customer service will be investigating over next 48 hours.

BandOfBrothers

I hope all goes Ok for you with the investigation @MS8

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @MS8

Although data usage is measured on the network, it might be worth checking the data application on your phone to see how much data was used by Skype. 

If you wait for one of the forum team to make contact, they will be able to access your account and clarify the charge on your bill.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@MS8 Should you need any further assistance with your account or you'd like us to take a look into your charges, I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team.