cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How come new customers get better deals than longstanding customers.

Alex2019
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello everyone,

My 12-month sim only deal is about to expire. So you know, my current deal comes with 25gb of data, unlimited texts and minutes, spotify and all for £22.24.

I have been with Vodafone for more than a decade and have always managed to get a good deal. But it seems like things have changed.

With my current deal I am entitled to 40% discount until March 2020 but not all advisors I chatted with acknowledge this even if this info is in my agreement. And I find it infuriating that those who acknowledge this keep offering me the same deals that are on offer for everyone, including new customers but pretend that what they are offering me is some kind of special bespoke deal for longstanding customers.

Just to make things worse, they are offering new customers a 12 month sim only deal that comes with 20gb per month, including 10gb extra data for £20, including spotify.

I would like to get this deal but they can't offer me -a longstanding customer- the extra 10gb.

How is this fair?

Who else has been experiencing the same issues with Vodafone and their rude and dishonest advisors?

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Your current contract does not expire.

Instead it would drop onto a 30 day rolling contract and everything would remain the same.

i.e. you don't have to do nothing if your happy with your allowances and monthly charge.

As far as I'm aware Vodafone offer similar deals to both existing and new customers that are available at the time @Alex2019 

The difference is that a customer who is upgrading can speak to customer Retentions via dialing 191 and choosing the Thinking of Leaving option and they can offer a bit more sometimes dependent on what type of contract and tariff a person is on to entice a person to remain with them.

The same way where they add things to new contracts to entice new customers to Vodafone.

There isn't any loyalty so to speak.

You pay your monthly charge and Vodafone supply the signal and allowances and a new phone if a person is on a full monthly contract type.

It can sometimes pay to shop around by looking at independents such as CPW as one example,  although one has to make sure they upgrade you and not open up another line and some discounts such as VEA are not eligible if the contract isn't taken directly out via Vodafone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

BandOfBrothers

Your current contract does not expire.

Instead it would drop onto a 30 day rolling contract and everything would remain the same.

i.e. you don't have to do nothing if your happy with your allowances and monthly charge.

As far as I'm aware Vodafone offer similar deals to both existing and new customers that are available at the time @Alex2019 

The difference is that a customer who is upgrading can speak to customer Retentions via dialing 191 and choosing the Thinking of Leaving option and they can offer a bit more sometimes dependent on what type of contract and tariff a person is on to entice a person to remain with them.

The same way where they add things to new contracts to entice new customers to Vodafone.

There isn't any loyalty so to speak.

You pay your monthly charge and Vodafone supply the signal and allowances and a new phone if a person is on a full monthly contract type.

It can sometimes pay to shop around by looking at independents such as CPW as one example,  although one has to make sure they upgrade you and not open up another line and some discounts such as VEA are not eligible if the contract isn't taken directly out via Vodafone. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks bandofbrothers.

I was hoping to get a cheaper deal that includes spotify. 

As for the Retentions/thinking of leaving department I chatted with them twice and frankly they couldn't care less. Same deals were offered and when I told them I was going to check deals elsewhere they replied: okay, no problem.

I think you are right. I might have to go with CPW or mobiles.co.uk.

Once again thank you for your reply

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome @Alex2019 

One thing you could try is to ring them again and choose that thinking of leaving option and when you get through go through the offers again and then ask for your Pac which may / may not invoke a better offer or they may just give it to you and may / may not invoke a follow up call from Vodafone.

The Pac will expire after 30 days anyway.

I wish you well.

To add Carphone Warehouse can upgrade you with no issues and in keeping your number.

Just ensure they fully understand your not taking out a 2nd line to then transfer your current number to it.

As long as your 100% clear to them about that you should be good to go.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Hi

It is annoying that Vodaphone sales will not closely match upgrade offers from 3rd Parties.  I have been with Vodaphone (as network operator) for two decades.  Many renewals/upgrades have been via 3rd party, sometimes keeping my number has been straightforward other times quite complex. 

This year I thought I might go to EE as I can keep my number, no hassle, and get a better phone deal with that network. 

To stay with Vodaphone, I would need to cancel my contract get a PAC code then get a pay as you go SIM card registered to another network and then get another PAC code to move number back to Vodaphone!

It seemed very odd that it is much easier to keep phone number by moving to another network. 

Being annoyed, rather than amused I phoned 191 asked for retentions and got a discount on unlimited data (max 10mbs download) and the 24-month contract cost was £40 more than a 20GB data contract with Vodaphone via 3rd party.

Now I am pleased with Vodaphone but also annoyed that I had to work hard at getting what I considered to be a fair deal.

Dave

AnnS

Hi @Alex2019 

If you have a 40% loyalty discount with Vodafone I would say that is something you need to keep.

If you go through a third party such as Carphone Warehouse, the discount will be for new customers only where the commmission they receive from the network is more lucrative and this will leave you with problems keeping the same number, this will mean having to cancel the ongoing Vodafone contract and either putting the number on PAYG taking 30 days or PAC out on PAYG to an alternative network and back in on the new contract.  With you having to pay for two contracts for a short period, this could well cost more.

I would try Vodafone first, with the contract about to end you will be in good bargaining position and will be able to retain your loyalty discount.

Thank you AnnS.

The only issue here is that the customer service advisors keep making excuses regarding the 40% discount.

They told me it will no longer apply if I upgrade. 

I will also contact Which as I feel Vodafone are acting like thieves.

Thank you

AnnS

Hi @Alex2019 

When the current contract reached the end of the 12 month agreement the 40% discount you are presently enjoying will also end and as the discount was only for the duration of the contract, it will revert to the original price minus the discount.

If you take out a new SIM only it will come with it's own new discount but with you being a customer for a decade, you should also be entitled to a loyalty discount as a returning customer.

Upgrades or indeed Retentions should be able to come up with something.

Hi AnnS,

Thank you for taking the time to reply again.

The 12 month sim only deal ends this week but the 40% discount expires in March 2020. This isn't a mistake as the agreement also states that the 40% discount will last for 24 months.

I'm considering all options including your suggestion.

Many thanks for your time AnnS

AnnS

Yes @Alex2019 

You are entitled to enjoy a 40% discount for 24 months which is the reason it is surprising Vodafone cannot look at your account and recommend a new SIM only taking into account your loyalty discount.

However, once the SIM only rolls over to 30 days and you are out of commitment on your present contract as it does this week, the discount will be removed and the contract will continue as 30 a day rolling SIM at the full price until you upgrade or cancel.